all speeds are the same ~70MB/s

Got a question about our NAS utilities? The answer lies within.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Pallomino
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

all speeds are the same ~70MB/s

Post by Pallomino »

hallo asustor fans,
i got a new asustor lockerstor 10 as6510t connected to a 10GBe switch which is connected to my pc and a asus 10GBe card.
the nas setup is raid 5 with 10x WD red 6TB disks.
no matter what kind of file transfer i do,
pc (ssd) to nas = no more than 70MB/s in comparison my old nas, a netgear readyns ultra 4 2xnic in link aggregation wrote between 80-90MB/s
nas to pc = no more than 70MB/s again in comparison readynas to pc above 120MB/s
as a test i setup 2x nvme m.2 as jbod as 2. volume
all the same round about 70MB/s writing to this volume from volume 1 or from the pc
i even connected the nas directly to my pc 10GBe connection, still the same!
i realy don't no what i am missing. is anyone else having this issue?
suggestions are welcome.
mvh
Pallomino
Pallomino

Re: all speeds are the same ~70MB/s

Post by Pallomino »

oh my god
i am so sorry for bothering you all
i turned off smb signing and forced smb 3 and now the speed is through the roof
350MB/s - 400MB/s
THX anyway ;-)
GreggMendel

Post by GreggMendel »

If you could help with an uneducated question: Turning off smb signing and forcing smb3 - how are those accomplished, and is it done on the NAS or pc end, or both?
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

Those options are just on the NAS, under Services -> SMB. There's a red warning mentioning about enabling signing will affect transfer speeds.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
Pallomino

Post by Pallomino »

Nazar78 wrote:Those options are just on the NAS, under Services -> SMB. There's a red warning mentioning about enabling signing will affect transfer speeds.
exactly
JacktheRipperPhD

Post by JacktheRipperPhD »

When I go to Services I see no SMB option. There is a Windows option, and when I choose that I see CIFS/SAMBA is checked, and there is a SMB Signing that only has options Default, Auto and Force. No way to turn it off. Is Windows controlling this? I only get 11 MB/sec on drag and drop file transfers. Pitiful.
Becoming a happy customer, as I figure all this out
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

JacktheRipperPhD wrote:When I go to Services I see no SMB option. There is a Windows option, and when I choose that I see CIFS/SAMBA is checked, and there is a SMB Signing that only has options Default, Auto and Force. No way to turn it off. Is Windows controlling this? I only get 11 MB/sec on drag and drop file transfers. Pitiful.
Click on the "i"nfo icon beside SMB signing and read its details. 11MB/s? LAN or Wifi? Something is definitely wrong not just with your NAS but network as well.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
JacktheRipperPhD

Post by JacktheRipperPhD »

So I discovered my problem limiting me to 11 MB/s. My new LG Gram laptop is so thin that it doesn't have room for an RJ45 connector, so LG included a USB-C to LAN dongle. Only good for 10/100 MB/s speeds, incredibly. I connected the LG using 5 GHz WiFi, and got 109 MB/s. Incidentally my WiFi Status page was claiming 2.4 Gb/s connection speeds. My HP Legion got 120 MB/s using an RJ45 hard wire connection. So all is good for me now. Right now 10 GB/sec switches cost around $180, so it will be a while before I push beyond the limits of 1Gb/s speeds. But at least my NAS will go to 5 Gb/s if I ever upgrade...
Becoming a happy customer, as I figure all this out
falcone

Post by falcone »

How can I issue the "SMB Signing"? I can only choose between "Default", "Auto" and "Force". Highest SMB level is set to SMB3 for me.

Return to “NAS Utilities”