Using exfat drives as ixternal backup drives?

Got a question about our NAS utilities? The answer lies within.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

mrex
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Using exfat drives as ixternal backup drives?

Post by mrex »

Im planning to buy Asustor AS6604T and i already have two ”old” 4tb wd red nas drives which i just formatted as exfat. So they are empty without nasware software now.. Using them now inside an external usb dock. But can i use them as a backup disk with the asustor nas?

Can i put one of these drives to the empty nas bay and use the drive as a backup disk (internal)? They both are exfat formatted. This is what i mean (bays)
1 bay: 4-8tb nas drive (raid1)
2 bay: 4-8tb nas drive (raid1)
3 bay: empty (can it be used with a formatted exfat drive to be able to backup a drive or certain files from nas volume?)
4 bay empty
orion

Re: Using exfat drives as ixternal backup drives?

Post by orion »

Yes. You can setup bay-3 as MyArchive. I'll recommend you format this drive using ADM's UI (ADM web -> Storage Manager -> Volume -> Create). Note: ADM v3.x supports exFAT after you buy the license. ADM v4.x is free to support exFAT (however it's beta stage now).

MyArchive is a function like USB drive (perform in SATA devices). So you can prepare a lot of disks as backup disks. Put one of them into NAS when you need to access. You can refer to Asustor's web site for more detailed information.
mrex

Post by mrex »

Thank you! I actually ended up using these drives as nas drives because there is some short of problem with drives to get them. Didnt find specific drives from anywhere.

However i was going to use an external usb drive (exfat) to backup the nas, but i couldnt.. As you said that i going to need a licence key to be able to use exfat. Escuse me? What? A licence key for exfat that MS gave free for linux years ago? And c’mon! A licence key for a nas about exfat used on everywhere? Asustor should have added it themselves… Only couple of dollars… I ended up using hsf+ because when i was buying the key, i saw that i need to wait days before i get it. It a licence key, how could that take days to get an email?
orion

Post by orion »

mrex wrote:i saw that i need to wait days before i get it. It a licence key, how could that take days to get an email?
I did not buy this license. I don't know if it takes several days (it should not). I'll suggest you to send a support ticket to asustor. https://support.asustor.com/ That should be able to remind them again.

Return to “NAS Utilities”