Connect an external hard drive as a physical drive in Windows

Got a question about our NAS utilities? The answer lies within.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

barsovya
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Connect an external hard drive as a physical drive in Windows

Post by barsovya »

Goal is to connect an external usb drive as a local drive.
I tried creating a virtual hard disk on the NAS via a terminal, but ADM didn't see it.
Tried creating a virtual disk in windows, but after restarting windows lost this virtual disk.

The problem is that windows sees the usb disk of the nas as a network drive. Because of this, many installers do not work correctly, and this is not suitable for my tasks.
How to configure an external usb drive to connect via iscsi or for windows to display it as local? Thx.
wde

Re: Connect an external hard drive as a physical drive in Windows

Post by wde »

If you map the network drive (using windows) to assign a local drive letter do the installers not work correctly? (it will still be classed as a network location)

Have you tried using the Asustor Windows app AEC (Asustor Easy Connect). You can map an external device to appear as a new drive on your local PC. You may have to run the app after windows reboot to reestablish the link or find a way to add it to Windows Startup.
My NAS: Flashtor 6 FS6706T ADM: 4.2.7.RRD1 Router: Technicolor CGM4331COM (XB7)
barsovya

Re: Connect an external hard drive as a physical drive in Windows

Post by barsovya »

wde wrote:If you map the network drive (using windows) to assign a local drive letter do the installers not work correctly? (it will still be classed as a network location)
Exactly, installers still see the disk as a network drive. In this case it doesn't work correctly.

I haven't tried using ASUSTOR EZ Connect before. Now everything works as it should, thx.
ps. But after a reboot the ez connect utility mounts the disk constantly. If mounting is enabled at system startup. Only restarting the program in manual mode helps.
[fimg=]download/file.php?mode=view&id=1181&sid ... f19c3917ae[/fimg]
Attachments
Безымянный.png
Безымянный.png (28.4 KiB) Viewed 2452 times

Return to “NAS Utilities”