how to share mapped drive with people on home network?

Got a question about our NAS utilities? The answer lies within.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

purmar
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

how to share mapped drive with people on home network?

Post by purmar »

Hi.
I have been looking around trying to figoure this out, but no luck. I created a folder on my Asustor and I am trying to use it for my wife's data. She needs to be able to open that location and upload her file. I created a folder, and mapped it as a network drive. All is good and I can access the files on my computer. I cannot figure out how to share it with her, so she can see it in her explorer and upload/download files. The mapped folder does not have option to share. Any help appreciated.
ilike2burnthing

Re: how to share mapped drive with people on home network?

Post by ilike2burnthing »

Can you not map it on her computer too?
purmar

Post by purmar »

ilike2burnthing wrote:Can you not map it on her computer too?
I wish. I see Ausstor in my Network. I see the mapped drive on my computer.
Neither of this is available on her computer. Not sure if I have to enable something, but there is nothing in her network drive. So, I am not sure how to find it.
In addition, while I can share a regular hard drive on my PC, there is no such option on the mapped drive.
purmar

Post by purmar »

Yes, i exactly followed the tutorial to setup the mapped drive. The mapped drive is in my Network locations.
I don't know, though, how to share that mapped drive to other computer on my home network. In my network I can see Asustor, but when I open File Explorer on any other computer (laptop), I cannot see Asustor in Network, and I cannot see the mapped drive. I think that is the step I am missing. How to make the mapped drive available to all other computers in my home network?
orion

Post by orion »

You should enable access rights for your wife to access the shared folder. Check ADM web -> Access Control -> Shared folder. (You should created users under Access Control for you and your wife, right?) You'll need to grant the access rights of your shared folder in NAS for your wife.
snapshot

Post by snapshot »

My Asustor NAS doesn't appear in the network on any of my PCs but I can access it by creating a desktop shortcut. This can be of the form \\asustor-name or \\asustor-name\share-name. When you click on it it will open FIle Explorer and magically the NAS will appear under Network.

This assumes you've taken Orion's advice about access rights.

<Later> Having done a bit more testing, this isn't as reliable as I thought. It works for three out of six PCs here but there doesn't seem to be any pattern between Home & Pro apart from both that use wireless (one Home, one Pro) not working.

Basically, W10 networking is broken.

Return to “NAS Utilities”