RAID v BTFS Few Questions

Got a question about our NAS utilities? The answer lies within.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

botics
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

RAID v BTFS Few Questions

Post by botics »

Long time RAID user here especially with Asustor products. I currently have three older AS606T and the new Nimbustor 4. I am waiting for the Lockerstor Pro so I wanted to experiment with the BTFS setup v a RAID setup.

I have read online there are some issues with BTFS - I am not sure if they have been addressed but I would like to know what your experience has been with BTFS or are you using RAID.

I would also like to know if you do use BTFS can you still run external backups and access the data from a USB drive (view the folders on a PC). I have not gotten that far as I waiting on upgrading the memory on the Nimbustor 4.

Thanks for your input and Happy Easter!
father.mande

Re: RAID v BTFS Few Questions

Post by father.mande »

Hi,

At this time in A.D.M. (as I know) BTRFS is used as a replacement (of ext4) for file system on volume ... so not as in a free disk organisation (NAS organisation is "define" by Asustor) where it's possible to use internal (to brtfs) option to manage Raid at filesystem level.

BRTFS when limited to file system ... can be used on existing Raid (at device level)
On NAS you define the Raid level then when you create volume you can used BRTFS
BRTFS add interesting function ... like snapshot, rescue , restore, etc.

On NAS the volume is managed exactly with the same approach even you choice ext4 or BTRFS ... so all functions are available (backup, share, etc.)

Only Asustor must know if BRTFS can be in the future used with all its possibilities ...

I used BTRFS on all my Asustor NAS ... without problems.

Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T
botics

Re: RAID v BTFS Few Questions

Post by botics »

Thank you for the reply.

Return to “NAS Utilities”