Please help! Bunch of newbie question.

Got a question about our NAS utilities? The answer lies within.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

stalinski
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Please help! Bunch of newbie question.

Post by stalinski »

Hello!

I current have an Asustor AS5110T and I love it, 10-bays!

Current setup: 5x 6TB in Raid5. Sadly, three of these drives are failing. I want to upgrade to RAID 6 for dual failure redundancy. I realize I can't just convert RAID 5 to RAID 6 without formatting, so I am wondering if I can do this: Buy more drives (8 or 10TB) minimum 4, insert them into my AS5110T, create a separate RAID6 setup with those, and move the files from my existing RAID 5 array to the newly created RAID 6 array.

Is this possible? Or any other better way to change to RAID 6?
MadPup

Re: Please help! Bunch of newbie question.

Post by MadPup »

What you are proposing makes perfect sense. What are your reasons to doubt it?

Once the data has been migrated to the new array you can trash the old array and remove the bad disks. At that point you could create a new Raid 5 array from the remaining disks.

When you say 3 of the disks are failing... is it because they have bad blocks? If so, is it possible to repair the drives by having them map out the bad blocks? I'm assuming they are RAID disks with reduced error recovery logic.
Alen

Post by Alen »

Hii,dear,
Has your problem been solved? I also encounter this situation now.
Censtry Electronics Co., Ltd. -- which founded in 2004 in Hong Kong, branched in Shenzhen, is the famous independent stocking distributor of Circuit Protection
orion

Post by orion »

I wonder how you can get your data from failed RAID-5 volume (3 disk failures). If the RAID-5 volume is working fine, you can easily migrate to RAID-6 volume. You don't need to create a new RAID-6 volume and copy old data to the new volume. Simply migrate RAID-5 to RAID-6.

Return to “NAS Utilities”