Is it possible to clone all data from one hard disk to another ?

Got a question about our NAS utilities? The answer lies within.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

andy8
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Is it possible to clone all data from one hard disk to another ?

Post by andy8 »

Hi,

I currently have installed one Seagate IronWolf Pro 16TB harddisk.
I want to transfer all the data to another newer Seagate IronWolf Pro 20TB harddisk.

Is it possible to do this using my Asustor NAS itself ? Could I use the ADM software to transfer all data to the new Harddisk, via existing harddisk ?
I would like to remove my 16TB hard disk (to sell) and only use the newly installed 20TB disk.

Or do I need to use some cloning software and my laptop perhaps to transfer data to new hard disk?

Please help if someone has any suggestions on this, it would help me greatly. Thanks
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - [16TB]
Nazar78

Re: Is it possible to clone all data from one hard disk to another ?

Post by Nazar78 »

The best method is to clone but officially you can't do this on the NAS unless you really know what you're doing i.e. using dd to clone, then resize the partition, finally expand the fs. The volumes also needs to be unmounted for consistency.

The safest method is to transfer between volumes using the built-in ADM File Explorer in the web portal then reinstall back all the apps.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
andy8

Post by andy8 »

Thank you Nazar for the reply. I have created a RAID 1 mirror with both the disks.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - [16TB]
tokyojerry

Post by tokyojerry »

If I want to a clone, I attach an external 2-bay cradle with USB-C port connected to USB 3.2 Gen2 USB-A port on FS6706T. My cradle has a clone function. I just do periodic backup using ADM to cradle disk 1. From time to time I simply perform an offline disk clone cradle disk1 to disk2.

Return to “NAS Utilities”