Defragmantation error!

Got a question about our NAS utilities? The answer lies within.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

biga156
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Defragmantation error!

Post by biga156 »

There is a problem with the ADM defragmantation service. I started one at the next config yesterday :
AS4004T, 4x WD Red Pro 6TB (RAID5 - btrfs). At the beginning, there was about 1.5TB of free space on the volume. The defragmenter used it in about 2 hours . But really! No left, only 64kB of free space !!
During this time, the process reached 8.34% . After that, he essentially stopped, until nothing happened. (no error message, no activity, but no space) . After that, I freed up about 3.5TB more space for the process.
Well, he ate that, too...

I stopped right now because I don't think it's normal. (You can't stop the process anyway, the only thing you can do is shut down the NAS ).
Current state:
the process still stopped at 8.34% at shutdown, but now I only have 35.4GB of free space The NAS will work after all, but ...
The process consumed about 5TB of free space without a trace, which I really want to get back.

I'm waiting for the ideas and in the meantime I would indicate that something is wrong here

(sorry for any grammatical errors, my native language is not English)
orion

Re: Defragmantation error!

Post by orion »

I would suggest you to send a support request to asustor: https://support.asustor.com/.
biga156

Re: Defragmantation error!

Post by biga156 »

I’ve contacted support, if they say anything useful, I’ll share it with you .
Until then, I'll tell you what happened after that :
Eventually, I completely emptied the NAS => Free space on essentially empty NAS: 1.4TB (instead of 16.4TB) .
I thought there was nothing to lose, I would test further :
- I restarted the defragmantation. It also ran in max 1 minute, the space was not freed up (nothing has changed)
- snapchat restore: ran without error, but also no change

There are currently many questions about the effectiveness of the services involved,but I'm still waiting for a response from support .

Return to “NAS Utilities”