Problem copying from external HD

Got a question about our NAS utilities? The answer lies within.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Project86
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Problem copying from external HD

Post by Project86 »

I am in the process of copying files from a 4TB external drive, which is USB powered (not that it probably matters, but trying to be specific). I will copy several directories full of files (anywhere from a few dozen GB to several hundred) without issue. I am doing this on my 1 month old AS6404t with brand new WD Red drives in it. I use ADM "File Explorer" as it is simple and efficient for this one-time procedure.

But then once in a while, seemingly at random, I am getting an error that says "Unable to copy or move files/folders (Ref.5019)". Everything stops at that point. I can try again, sometimes it will work without issue, sometimes I get the error again.

I don't think this external drive has issues, as I have copied the same contents multiple times to other drives without issue. Also I am merely reading from it, not writing, so that should be simple enough.

Anyone know what the Ref5019 copy error means?
Marco@ASUSTOR

Re: Problem copying from external HD

Post by Marco@ASUSTOR »

Project86 wrote:I am in the process of copying files from a 4TB external drive, which is USB powered (not that it probably matters, but trying to be specific). I will copy several directories full of files (anywhere from a few dozen GB to several hundred) without issue. I am doing this on my 1 month old AS6404t with brand new WD Red drives in it. I use ADM "File Explorer" as it is simple and efficient for this one-time procedure.

But then once in a while, seemingly at random, I am getting an error that says "Unable to copy or move files/folders (Ref.5019)". Everything stops at that point. I can try again, sometimes it will work without issue, sometimes I get the error again.

I don't think this external drive has issues, as I have copied the same contents multiple times to other drives without issue. Also I am merely reading from it, not writing, so that should be simple enough.

Anyone know what the Ref5019 copy error means?
Hi! I apologise for the inconvenience. Error code 5019 means that ADM encountered a permissions conflict on NTFS. Check to make sure the files you are copying are allowed to be copied. Certain directories like RECYCLER, $RECYCLE.BIN and System Volume Information are disallowed. Other files/directories may also be disallowed or encrypted. I'd recommend manually copying each directory one by one to see which one is problematic.
ZeD

Post by ZeD »

Any updates here? If I have hundreds of dirs, I don't think copy each is a solution.

If I can see anywhere logs of OK and notOK copied files or only errors?

If and other tool I can use to 100% copy, which is awaiting from file manager?

In my case I just see warning with note that some files could not be copied without any details. And it seems after some errors copy process stop.

If there any limitation on file length, file naming using special symbols, dir-in-dir length, file size, etc.

Many thanks in advance!
MadDogDean

Post by MadDogDean »

Hey @ZeD, A little late on this, but just getting into Asustor NASland...

I don't know enough to be super helpful, and maybe this is a little late, but on my Windows 11 laptop I use a program TeraCopy for file copy. Of course (from my understanding) this would run outside of ADM, but perhaps it'll help narrow down the issue. You can set it to skip over errors and provide a log at the end.
Not affiliated with TeraCopy, just really like the program.

https://codesector.com/teracopy

Cheers

Return to “NAS Utilities”