Storage Manager: Defrag progress is not updated / Logs do not report that the process completes.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Jarod24
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Storage Manager: Defrag progress is not updated / Logs do not report that the process completes.

Post by Jarod24 »

tldr: Storage Manager: Defrag progress is not updated / Logs do not report that the process completes.

ADM Version: 4.2.RC81
Model: AS6704T

Steps to reproduce:
Storage manager -> Volume -> Select a volume using Btrfs -> Select Management -> File system -> Start a defrag.

Defrag progress is not updated. Sometimes it says 0%. Sometimes it says some other number (62.45%).

You can close the Storage Manager, or even your whole browser window and re-open it. Several hours (or even days) later then the progress will still be at what it was when you started it.

If you go to "System Information -> Logs" it will list that the defrag process was started on the volume but it will never state that the process is completed.

I have in some cases kept the server running basically untouched and without any interruption or restart for several days; No change in the progress or any log entry that the defrag progress has finished.

If you do restart the server and start a new defrag, then it seems that the next progress value is higher than the last one (0% the first time, 62% the next time). But i cannot confirm this behaviour.

I have seen the same behaviour on my older Asustor aswell (AS6204T using same ADM version).
The issue seem to have appeared around the time when ADM was updated to fix several kernel bugs; This was maybe 2 ADM updates back? I remember that at the same time Virtualbox also had to be updated to work again.
Nazar78

Re: Storage Manager: Defrag progress is not updated / Logs do not report that the process completes.

Post by Nazar78 »

You should report such issues to Asustor Support directly by opening a ticket with them. Those guys don't usually read this forum we're just helping out each other.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
pepe1al6

Re: Storage Manager: Defrag progress is not updated / Logs do not report that the process completes.

Post by pepe1al6 »

Don't waste time with technical support.
More than 7 months ago I reported the same problem as well as another with the noise of two hard drives when it wakes up from sleep and I have not obtained a solution.
They just say that it is a known problem but that they do not consider it important and that they give priority to other bugs.
Yesterday I received communication from technical support saying that the error had been fixed in the ADM 4.2.0.RE71 update but the problem persists.
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

pepe1al6 wrote:Don't waste time with technical support.
More than 7 months ago I reported the same problem as well as another with the noise of two hard drives when it wakes up from sleep and I have not obtained a solution.
They just say that it is a known problem but that they do not consider it important and that they give priority to other bugs.
Yesterday I received communication from technical support saying that the error had been fixed in the ADM 4.2.0.RE71 update but the problem persists.
I agree sometimes the support cannot help but hard drives making noise then blame the NAS?
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
pepe1al6

Post by pepe1al6 »

I have explained myself wrong.
The noise is not coming from the hard drives but from the NAS when it wakes up from sleep mode. It is a kind of noise in the internal buzzer and it occurred after upgrading to ADM 4.1.
The technical service asked me to send them videos and they replied that they recognized the error with the update but until today it has not been resolved and I don't think they will.
So yes, it's a technical support problem caused by one of their updates.
I know exactly when the error is on the hard drive and when it is on the NAS.
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

I've no such issue, unless you share the details here, I can only assume probably a defective buzzer? You can try test the internal buzzer, run below to simulate the startup beep:

Code: Select all

buzzctrl -poweron
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

pepe1al6

Post by pepe1al6 »

Nazar78, thanks for your suggestion.
The buzzctrl -poweron command that tells me does not work, only buzzctrl -config works, however the buzzer works correctly if I activate it in the ADM hardware page.
As I told you, it is an error recognized by the technical service but it has not been solved yet, it may be due to the combination of my hardware and that is why you do not have that problem.
By the way, the bug with disk defragmentation mentioned by the thread's author has been fixed with the ADM 4.2.0.RE71 update.
Thanks again.
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

Alright NP, do update us of anything.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

Return to “[Official] For AS67xx Series”