Regular CRC Errors

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

yabaikai
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Regular CRC Errors

Post by yabaikai »

I purchased an AS6702 and two HDDs (WD Reds) about a year and a few months ago. For the last 6 months I have been getting relatively regular (1-2x/month) CRC errors in the second of the two drives setup in RAID 1. I figured that the second drive was simply bad and filed for a warranty replacement. However today for the first time, I have a CRC error in both drives. This leads me to wonder if it's not a problem with the drives so much as it's a problem with the NAS. What makes me especially skeptical is that I do both of the scans that Asustor has available regularly (bad block and S.M.A.R.T.) and both return just fine.

Has anyone had such errors or know what might be causing this?
Nazar78

Re: Regular CRC Errors

Post by Nazar78 »

CRC errors could be from number of faults, the disk itself, connectors, memory etc. After you ran the smart scan, check its details with:

Code: Select all

for i in /dev/sd?;do smartctl -a $i;done
I have ICRC errors on one of my disks that wasn't reported in the smart nor badblocks scan. Mine probably due to the disk not fully inserted or temperature fluctuations to the disk. Before this, two of my disks failed within just two months, could probably just a bad batch I'm not sure.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
yabaikai

Post by yabaikai »

Well, I couldn't get your command to run. The utility said something about being behind an ATA drive. In any case, I suppose the issue is using SMR HDDs as opposed to CMR. My disks are pretty constantly in use with very minimal idle periods, seeing as I use my NAS as an NVR. I bought two new CMR drives and we'll see how they work. Pretty poor marketing on Western Digitals part, labeling SMR drives in their Red/NAS category.
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

I don't have any SMR to test, try this instead?

Code: Select all

for i in /dev/sd?;do smartctl -adsat $i;done
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response

Return to “[Official] For AS67xx Series”