AS6706T really slow

Data_Dan
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

AS6706T really slow

Post by Data_Dan »

I am in the process of initializing an AS6706T. Volume 1 is 4x 18TB WD drives in a RAID 5 EXT4 configuration. It is really slow. It is showing that it will take 198.6 days at the current speed of 1MB/s! Is this normal or is there something wrong with this NAS? The ADM is slow to load also. It takes 10 seconds for the icons to fill when I start it from the ACC. I did put in an extra 8 GB of PC3200 RAM for a total of 16 GB before booting. Total CPU utilization is 25% with 100% usage on CPU2. Memory usage is 477.97 MB used, 421.86 cached, 141.62 buffer, 14.39 GB free. Could the additional RAM be the culprit? Can I abort and perform a factory default to reinitialize it?
This is my 2nd Asustor NAS. My other one is a AS7004T and I never had a problem like this.
Nazar78

Re: AS6706T really slow

Post by Nazar78 »

Try not to use the NAS while it's syncing the RAID array. Like putting media files which could lead to indexing (you can turn this off in the schedule).

You could also try speed up the sync process:

Code: Select all

echo 5000000|tee /proc/sys/dev/raid/speed_*
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
Data_Dan

Post by Data_Dan »

Nazar78 wrote:Try not to use the NAS while it's syncing the RAID array. Like putting media files which could lead to indexing (you can turn this off in the schedule).

You could also try speed up the sync process:

echo 5000000|tee /proc/sys/dev/raid/speed_*
I don't understand that command. Is that a putty command?
I haven't transferred any files yet. I am waiting until the syncing process is complete. I forgot to mention that the System Status indicator is flashing green and the HD indicators are acting weird. HD1 is on solid but HD2,3,& 4 randomly turn on and off together. BTW It's now been 12hrs and the progress is still 0%! All these problems and the Overview shows a healthy RAID 5 Volume of 48.9 TB!
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

Not sure about your LEDs probably it's just the read and write activities from the sync process.

That's a terminal command, putty is a terminal client, SSH into the NAS as admin using putty or similar apps (Enable SSH in the service settings, terminal) then enter:

sudo echo 5000000|tee /proc/sys/dev/raid/speed_*
Which process is using the CPU2 100% usage? Look at the activity monitor, or use commands like top or htop, for disks use iostat. You'll need to understand more of these commands to troubleshoot further or get someone to help look into it, suggest open a ticket with Asustor Support.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
Data_Dan

Post by Data_Dan »

Nazar78 wrote:Not sure about your LEDs probably it's just the read and write activities from the sync process.

That's a terminal command, putty is a terminal client, SSH into the NAS as admin using putty or similar apps (Enable SSH in the service settings, terminal) then enter:

sudo echo 5000000|tee /proc/sys/dev/raid/speed_*
Which process is using the CPU2 100% usage? Look at the activity monitor, or use commands like top or htop, for disks use iostat. You'll need to understand more of these commands to troubleshoot further or get someone to help look into it, suggest open a ticket with Asustor Support.
The only process using cpu currently is pid 1968 md1_raid5. For some strange reason it has now switched from CPU2 to CPU3.
I'm thinking I might start over but without the additional 8 GB of RAM. Since the volume is empty should I remove it before factory resetting the NAS? I think I will try initializing just 2 drives to start in a RAID 1 then add the last 2 one at a time and migrate to RAID 5.
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

I have not tested before try canceling such process. But I'm aware that if the disks contains existing partitions, you'll not be able to initialize them, so be prepare in case you need wipe the partitions by means of booting using a Live USB or transfering the disks to your PC and doing it from there.

Also take note, the path you're about to take it's quite a lengthy process, sync 2x18TB RAID1, migrate to 4x18TB RAID5 then sync again, then finally file system expansion.

Before you proceed with anything, just try that command first then give it more time like another day? If the webUI is slow, you can also check its progress from the terminal:

watch -n1 cat /proc/mdstat
For disk activities:

iostat -h 1
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

Data_Dan

Post by Data_Dan »

I shut the NAS down and removed the extra 8 GB of RAM. It is working better now. The System Status light is solid green and the drive leds are flickering like they should. The system is more responsive and the cpu utilization looks like it is working correctly with all 4 cores showing activity. The synchronization is now reporting approx. 23 hrs to completion. I guess the RAM I put in wasn't compatible. I took a chance on Patriot RAM which is not on the list. I should have known better. This is not my first rodeo LOL!

Return to “[Official] For AS67xx Series”