editing smart threshold values

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

axej
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

editing smart threshold values

Post by axej »

an 187 error popped up. it's just a raw value of 1, and i think it should be fine as long as it doesn't increase quickly? right?

is there a way to tell my asustor device that this is an ok value?

the beeping can be turned off, but the red error light and the "bad" label in adm (drive status in adm's storage manager app is "data transmission error") can't. and that annoys me

I ran a health check using the ironwolf app cus it's an ironwolf pro, and it came up as "healthy"

i also ran a quick and full smart scan and the result is no error, healthy. but the values are the same when i check smart info

bad block scan comes up with nothing too

thanks in advance

update: support said it was a bad drive after checking the file system. the drive threw another couple of errors while i kept it in use. everything's been fine for two months after replacing it
Last edited by axej on Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nazar78

Re: editing smart threshold values

Post by Nazar78 »

187 0xBB - Reported Uncorrectable Errors

Suggest you backup and replace the drive as soon as possible.

Some quick digest https://www.computerworld.com/article/2 ... ilure.html
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
axej

Post by axej »

thanks, but i have indeed seen that article before making my post.

that article as well as the backblaze article it references is one of the first things that comes up when searching about smart id 187.

if you had a drive with a 187 id value of 1 and no reallocated sectors (id 5), no command timeout (id188), no current pending sectors (id 197), no offline uncorrectable (id 198), no udma crc error count (id 199), you would 100% replace the drive immediately?

it still seems to me that a 187 value doesn't necessarily mean 100% death.

luckily it's deployed in a raid6 config and i can just swap out the drive and let the thing rebuild for 48 hours straight if i really need to. obviously, i don't like buying drives unless i really need to or stressing drives with long rebuilds. unlucky for me, it seems that there seems to be a shortage of 14tb seagates (at least exos and iwp) either bare drives or expansion drives. because my region's amazon hasn't had stock for a couple of months and other retailers have raised their prices quite a bit or are also out of stock. right when i might actually need it
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

if you had a drive with a 187 id value of 1 and no reallocated sectors (id 5), no command timeout (id188), no current pending sectors (id 197), no offline uncorrectable (id 198), no udma crc error count (id 199), you would 100% replace the drive immediately?
Arguably subjective with many factors i.e. especially depends on the value of data stored and backups available. Smart is just a tool, the numbers you see could be taken as an indication of an inevitable near future failure. That specific one event could be more than just the reported ones. I would have just replace it if I can, check with vendor if it's a new drive for exchange or manufacturer for rma if under warranty etc.

I had urgently replaced two new drives in the same array within a span of 1 year with no ample prior warnings so I don't think I'll be annoyed but thankful with something that gives warning beeps, red error light and bad label in the status. You could however contact Asustor Support to request this.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
axej

Post by axej »

of course, it's no annoyance to be notified the first time. i'm quite thankful to be notified. it's only an annoyance to be repeatedly warned about it despite no apparent change

i should probably see if seagate will replace my drive. hopefully, they send me a new drive before receiving my current one. that way i'm not truly down one drive ever. this'll be my first time rma'ing a drive so i hope that's how it works with them

the warranty checking site is displaying "contact us for further info" when i input the serial number. not sure what that might mean about my chances

will also contact asustor technical support about situation

will update the thread once resolved or i get interesting info

btw, is there an option to output the smart info into a txt file or something? so i can show seagate?
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

You can provide a screenshot of the smart info or ssh as root into the NAS and run smartctl -a /dev/sdX, where X is the affected drive i.e. sda, sdb, sdc, sdd etc.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

Return to “[Official] For AS65xx Series”