Case sensitivity

cjm51213
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Case sensitivity

Post by cjm51213 »

Hi Folks,

I find that ASUStor 3204 is not case sensitive. I am mounting CIFS on a linux client, and every thing I read tells me that CIFS is case sensitive, if the underlying filesystem supports it. So, I have some questions:
  • I have seen references to ASUStor 3204 having an underlying filesytem of ext4 or btrfs. Is this true? Which is it?
  • I know that ext4 is case sensitive. Is btrfs case sensitive?
  • Have I missed a setting that makes ASUStor 3204 case sensativity?
Thanks for the help,

Chris.
ilike2burnthing

Re: Case sensitivity

Post by ilike2burnthing »

ADM > Storage Manager > Volume > Volume 1 > File System

Yes.

I can create a Test file and a test file in the same directory, so it's case sensitive, no setting to enable.
cjm51213

Post by cjm51213 »

ilike2burnthing wrote:ADM > Storage Manager > Volume > Volume 1 > File System
Thanks. That was helpful. I now know that all four disks have an ext4 filesystem, and I know from experience that ext4 is case sensitive.
I can create a Test file and a test file in the same directory, so it's case sensitive, no setting to enable.
I am mounting the ASUStor on a CentOS 7 client. When I create multiple files with differing capitalization in the same directory, they overwrite each other, so my experience seems to differ from yours, which begs the question, "What am I doing differently?". I have a thought ... Have you joined a domain? That might be the critical factor ... member of a domain, Windows Symantics -- case preserving, not case sensative.

The mount command looks like this: (Please comment on any error I have made.)

Code: Select all

//ASUStor.example.com/d0  /net/nas0/d0  cifs noauto,user,exec,mfsymlinks,credentials=/root.pw.asustor.admin,uid=root,gid=root,fscontext="unconfined_u:object_r:mnt_t:s0"   0 0
Thanks for the help,

Chris.
ilike2burnthing

Post by ilike2burnthing »

If I access one of the shares as a volume mapped drive in Windows (so using SMB), I can't create Test and test files.

If I access ADM in browser and create the files there, I can.

Not sure if that's an issue/limitation with Windows, SMB, or Asustor.

No, I'm not a member of a domain.

Return to “ADM general”