Endless problems with WOL

aka
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Endless problems with WOL

Post by aka »

I have problem with WOL. Unable to wake up the device. the only way is to physically press the PWR button. I host a FACEBOOK group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/725967797770456
I am not the only one. There are many, many users having the same issue and this must be addressed by ASUS ! :oops:
orion

Re: Endless problems with WOL

Post by orion »

What's your NAS model? And you did WOL after shutdown or sleep?
aka

Post by aka »

Mo model is Model: 3104T
I do not understand your question. I simply turn ON WOL in the Control Center, that's all.
When I use Control Center I can wake it up (through the menu), but when I try to access it through the page portal it will not wake up. Obviously in the case of remote access (for example I want to login to the NAS from another location LAN, or another country) I cannot do this. Perhaps I am missing something, but not sure why this is not working.
Last edited by aka on Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
orion

Post by orion »

You must press "sleep" button in ADM web page (then NAS go to sleep mode, orange LED turns on).
You can use AiMaster (phone app) or Control Center (PC app) to wake NAS up. This action will send WOL packet to NAS, then NAS should turn on. Note: you should let Control Center save NAS MAC address first when NAS is working (ACC -> Action -> WOL -> WOL setting).
aka

Post by aka »

OK, one again.

1) I only turn WOL ON in the ASUSTOR CONTROL CENTER
2) I have a backup setup to run overnight. It is running on Window10 PC and set for specific time. This backup task should wake up NAS to do this job but it doesn't.
3) During the day after some time NAS goes to suspend mode and if I open File Explorer and point to the mapped drive (from NAS) it gives me error (as drive is inaccessible)
4) I both cases 1) and 2) the only solution at the moment is to momentarily push the PWR button on the NAS to wake it up.
5) I tried to wake it up from the CONTROL CENTER, and it doesn't work as well

Most likely the problem lies in the software, but I am not sure where to look as it seems to be NAS OS issue.
My NAS is 3104T model
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

2) I have a backup setup to run overnight. It is running on Window10 PC and set for specific time. This backup task should wake up NAS to do this job but it doesn't.
3) During the day after some time NAS goes to suspend mode and if I open File Explorer and point to the mapped drive (from NAS) it gives me error (as drive is inaccessible)
4) I both cases 1) and 2) the only solution at the moment is to momentarily push the PWR button on the NAS to wake it up.
These are perfectly normal. The backup jobs or accessing the NAS while it's asleep will never wake the NAS unless you wake it up with a magic packet. What is a magic packet? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN
5) I tried to wake it up from the CONTROL CENTER, and it doesn't work as well
Some routers doesn't forward or blocks the magic packets. Sometime ago I was using an old netgear router that I can send magic packets only on LAN but not on WAN (WOL not WOW, both my NAS and router now supports WOL and WOW) unless I forward the UDP port 9.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
orion

Post by orion »

Did you see the orange LED on NAS front side (all other LEDs should be off)? If yes, do your PC (run Asustor Control Center) locate on the same LAN as NAS?
gazebo

Post by gazebo »

I have the same problem. When I leave NAS runnign for a while it does to sleep. There is just one orange LED ON. When I start CONTROL CENTER and lick green icon to wake it up it takes about 3+ min to wake up. I can also wake it up with the PWR button, but any other attmpts do not work. When I run CONTROL CENTER on another machine (same LAN) it does not work at all.
I also do not understand why I cannot wake it up through ADM (web page). I have number of Apps installed (including the deafult Apps) and none of them will wake up NAS. This is very frustrating to press the power button to wake up NAS every time. In case I need to access it from WAN - there is no way at all ! It is all screwed up and I have this problem for very long time.
I did not complain to much because I mostly worked from home and did not need remote access, but now it has changed. I really do not know how to fix this as ASUSTOR OS is super wired animal and there are no troubleshooting tools for OS of any kind.

Wojtek
orion

Post by orion »

gazebo wrote:I have the same problem. When I leave NAS runnign for a while it does to sleep. There is just one orange LED ON. When I start CONTROL CENTER and lick green icon to wake it up it takes about 3+ min to wake up. I can also wake it up with the PWR button, but any other attmpts do not work. When I run CONTROL CENTER on another machine (same LAN) it does not work at all.
I also do not understand why I cannot wake it up through ADM (web page). I have number of Apps installed (including the deafult Apps) and none of them will wake up NAS. This is very frustrating to press the power button to wake up NAS every time. In case I need to access it from WAN - there is no way at all ! It is all screwed up and I have this problem for very long time.
I did not complain to much because I mostly worked from home and did not need remote access, but now it has changed. I really do not know how to fix this as ASUSTOR OS is super wired animal and there are no troubleshooting tools for OS of any kind.

Wojtek
If we are talking about WOL (Wakeup On LAN), it means you'll need to use special tools (for example: asustor control center, AiMaster). Google should reveal the truth for you. If you need WOW (wakeup On WAN. You can wake NAS up through internet), you'll need another NAS model (example, AS66xxT, AS53xxT).
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

As I mentioned previously, for WOL please check your router first it might be blocking the magic packets. Can you WOL another device successfully?

FYI, if everything has been setup properly, with a little programming, I can even remotely perform voice commands to wake my NAS, PCs and laptops: "Ok Google, at home, wake up my <device>" :P
Screenshot_20210831-180119_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20210831-180119_Google.jpg (500.5 KiB) Viewed 5850 times
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response

Return to “ADM general”