Permissions to folders

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

mrex
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Permissions to folders

Post by mrex »

I have use nases becore, but Asustor gives me a headache.. For example…

Home directory
- what is it? i thought it is a home for the user. But it seems to be that there is actually a folder called ”User homes”.. What is the difference?
- I used this ”home” to save all my data and folders, but it seems to be that i cannot control the folder called ”home” permissions from ”Access control”. It is blanked out. But it also seems to be that everything i put there after mapping the drive on my macbook are also under ”User homes” for the specific user.

When i use ”File explorer” on the nas, and check properties of these folders, i get for the folder called Home on the Permission tap:
- owner RW
- Group RW
- Others RW

Group? Which group? Others - who are others?

Same permissons are for the ”User homes” folders.

I dont get it… What folders should i use as an user to be the only one accessing them? Not any other user or ”group” or ”others”. Another user are not able to access my folders, only folders belongs to the user, but this is quite confusing. Asustor help pages (from ?-mark when using the nas) it isnt quite informative.
father.mande

Re: Permissions to folders

Post by father.mande »

Hi,

You can get more information on the Web, for ex. here : https://www.linux.com/training-tutorial ... rmissions/

To be short
User homes folder is the folder containing all users ... corresponding to /home and /volume1/home (same but putting it in volume1 said ... save betwween reboot) BUT IT'S SAME fodlers and datas in

Home folder is the folder of the current user :ex. you are connected as admin ... Home is /home/admin or same /volume1/home/admin
... this folder is owned by admin / administrators (user_name / group where user name is attached) ... or corresponding name and group

Access right in Linux (so NAS) are simple for the access (complex for specific usage)
each rules is use for a specific target
User ... it's right for the user (here admin if connected as admin)
Group ... for the group where user is attached
other ... for all other users

for each access right are done using 3 value : read write and execute ... so explicit ... but each file in the folder can have a different access right
in your example :
user owning the folder have read and write access
group of the user have also read and write
others (all others users) have also read and write

free to you ... to change the access rules (BUT you MUST BE the owner of the file or folder ... or root the super user)

ex. if you want to be alone as user to use a file ... suppress permission for group and others
a tool exist (or file manager) chmod to change this values ex. adding execute right ... do : chmod a+x folder_or_file_name (a is for all, u for user, etc.)

Philippe.
NB if you have a specific access problem, please explain in detail ... also don't forgot to search information in Asustor web site (FAQ & college classes).
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T
ccm

Re: Permissions to folders

Post by ccm »

In my opinion, the first post has 2 main questions:

First question is regarding Folder permissions. The answer to that question is: this is Linux basic knowledge. I suggest google for it (linux folder permissions) and you will get tons of useful guides on that metter.

Second question is regarding what is best location to store the users folders. Of course the admin is free to choose where to store his and each user folders but we would like to know which location (/volume1 or /volume1/home/user1/folder, or any other) the designer (Asustor team) thought of best location?

P.S: by accessing NAS through ssh as root, you can go /volume1 and checkout each folder permissions and change them with $ chmod -R xxx /volume1/folder (being xxx numbers like 770 or 750 according to the permissions you want to set). Not checked yet if these changes persist over rebooting…

Return to “ADM general”