Hard disk accesses although no external activity is present

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Delgado
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Re: Hard disk accesses although no external activity is present

Post by Delgado »

No, this does not seem to have been fixed yet (see changelog).
ADM 3.5.6.RHA2 ( 2021-05-11 )
Change log
Fixed security issue of unknown email related logs.
Let's Encrypt certificates can now be manually updated in Certificate Manager.
All apps can now be uninstalled from App Central.
Miscellaneous bug fixes.
Mondas

Post by Mondas »

Yes I did look at the changelog first but I didn't know what "Miscellaneous Bug Fixes" might cover. (Because I think it's probably a very small fix that will have a huge benefit.)
Delgado

Post by Delgado »

I think this is fixed only in ADM 4.0. Support offered me the beta of ADM 4.0 to test that it is fixed.

I also just updated my NAS to ADM version 3.5.6.RHA2 and the disk accesses are still there.
Mondas

Post by Mondas »

@Delgado

Many thanks again for the very useful information, it's really appreciated
Mondas

Post by Mondas »

So I just did a bit of googling and ASM 4.0 is apparently due for release in June, so not long to wait
trailpixie

Post by trailpixie »

it didn't fix it for me. I still need to log into the CLI as root and manually kill the thumbnail process. For me, this is what is keeping the hard drives permanently running.

Every time I restart or reboot the system, I need to go back into the CLI and kill the process called "thumbnail."
Delgado

Post by Delgado »

@trailpixie
But that's something else. Have you contacted Asustor support with this?

Why is the thumbnail process running? Do you have so many photos that it might take a few days?

Of course, there are other processes that constantly access the disks. The following applications were mentioned to me by the support team at the time. You can check that.
1. Apps: If you have installed some Apps from App Central: Boxee, XBMC, Plex, UPnP server, Itune server, Dropbox, Owncloud, Surveillance Center etc.. Those apps might scan or sync the files/content in the background all the time or regularly.
2. Download Center: It will keep downloading files from the internet, so keep accessing the hard disks.
3. Windows Services: Join ActiveDirectory(AD), Enable Local Master browser
4. Client PC/MAC mapped the shared folders.
5. Utilities: ASUSTOR Control Center, Backup Plan, Download Assistant. The utilities might keep checking the existence of the NAS and involve with i/o HDD activities.
@Mondas
Super, I am curious.
chris.e

Post by chris.e »

I had this "problem", it was plex which had been set to "scan for new files".
Setting it to check once per day fixed the issue.
trailpixie

Post by trailpixie »

Delgado wrote:@trailpixie
But that's something else. Have you contacted Asustor support with this?

Why is the thumbnail process running? Do you have so many photos that it might take a few days?

Of course, there are other processes that constantly access the disks. The following applications were mentioned to me by the support team at the time. You can check that.
1. Apps: If you have installed some Apps from App Central: Boxee, XBMC, Plex, UPnP server, Itune server, Dropbox, Owncloud, Surveillance Center etc.. Those apps might scan or sync the files/content in the background all the time or regularly.
2. Download Center: It will keep downloading files from the internet, so keep accessing the hard disks.
3. Windows Services: Join ActiveDirectory(AD), Enable Local Master browser
4. Client PC/MAC mapped the shared folders.
5. Utilities: ASUSTOR Control Center, Backup Plan, Download Assistant. The utilities might keep checking the existence of the NAS and involve with i/o HDD activities.
@Mondas
Super, I am curious.
Hi Delgado,
yes I have contacted support. I got an initial response with an offer to log into my system; opening my firewall is a non-starter for me. Later, when I discovered that the thumbnail process was the culprit and mentioned that fact to support, I didn't hear back with any suggestions.

I am sorry to add to this discussion thread. I thought "Hard disk accesses although no external activity is present" was precisely my problem. As others are describing, processes are running in a loop and constantly accessing my hard drives when they shouldn't be.

As for another app that starts thumbnail, I have turned off all other apps in App Central. None are running. Plex isn't installed. Photo gallery is disabled. Docker, photoprism, ffmpeg, portainer CE are disabled. None of the processes you mention are running. Thumbnail is obviously the culprit. I don't know why it starts without being told to.

I do have a lot of photos. I have well over a hundred thousand raw photos, so stopping this is pretty important. Otherwise the process will run for a very long time. (I shudder to imagine how long.)
Mondas

Post by Mondas »

@trailpixie I think if you set Offpeak Hours, then thumbnailing should only run in these

Return to “ADM general”