Hard disk accesses although no external activity is present

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Mondas
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Re: Hard disk accesses although no external activity is present

Post by Mondas »

Well just to update this thread.

I have downloaded the ADM 4.0 beta from the official beta page.

It has been running for over 1 day and I was prepared for the worst but it has been so far absolutely solid and without problems.

The ONLY thing I have noticed is that so far there was no improvement on the chatter on my system disk, which is what this thread is about and why I was keen to test it!
Delgado

Post by Delgado »

Hello Mondas,
that's not good. Can you rule out the possible causes mentioned below?
1. Apps: If you have installed some Apps from App Central: Boxee, XBMC, Plex, UPnP server, Itune server, Dropbox, Owncloud, Surveillance Center etc.. Those apps might scan or sync the files/content in the background all the time or regularly.
2. Download Center: It will keep downloading files from the internet, so keep accessing the hard disks.
3. Windows Services: Join ActiveDirectory(AD), Enable Local Master browser
4. Client PC/MAC mapped the shared folders.
5. Utilities: ASUSTOR Control Center, Backup Plan, Download Assistant. The utilities might keep checking the existence of the NAS and involve with i/o HDD activities.
If this is not fixed in the official ADM 4.0, then I will submit a ticket to Asustor Support again. Do that too, the more the better.
DeepAnger

Post by DeepAnger »

You are probably wasting your time. Look here, to the end for a possible workaround.

viewtopic.php?f=240&t=11712
herbert

Post by herbert »

I have had similar problems related to disks being woken from hibernation for no apparent reason. See here:

viewtopic.php?f=228&t=12019

Note that I had / have no user installed applications on the system. Just the "builtin" Asustor applications.

After I upgraded to ADM 4.0 beta I was still having disk spin up issues. I didn't verify if it was the same one as I described in my post (see link above). None-the-less, there was still "weirdness" going on.

---
Delgado

Post by Delgado »

It's a pity, ADM 4.0 didn't bring anything at all in terms of continuous hard disk accesses. ASUS supposedly wanted to fix this.

Maybe I'll submit a ticket to support again at the weekend.
michauw

Post by michauw »

Guys, '

report this things through support ticket. If we don't report it, they will not fix it.

I've already rested every possible raid/single drive config and this damn thing still shreds the drives no matter what i disble/enable in the background...

m.
michauw

Post by michauw »

After many hours of testing i've noticed something new ...

In my case seagate Ironwolf 4TB drives, configured in RAID 1 have by default advanced power management flag set to 128 (check it by hdparm -I /dev/sd[x])

If and turn off APM (hdparm -B 255 /dev/sd[x]) it turns out that the peaks are much less active, although not completely silent. When I restore apm to their original settings (128), the disks run non-stop again.

I wonder whether not to add an additional SSD drive on which ADM and applications would run, maybe then the disks in the raid will work and make noise only when someone actually uses it?

m.
michauw

Post by michauw »

Do I did as planned - I added a new SSD and hoped it would be a system one.

Nope :) ADM makes a md0 or md126 array on it and if there are additional disks it will join them to the array.

Disk noise is probably not due to continued use by ADM or applications. I took my ironwoofs out of the case and hooked them up in my pc on windows - they are almost inaudible with any feasible benchmark or operation.

And now the best part :) I put them back to the NAS case, but I took the cover off i.
It worked like a charm - the NAS is much quieter when it is "open".

Is it possible that this plastic case works like some kind resonating chamber?

Maybe you tried to silence the casing with some foam?

m.
Jardelin

Post by Jardelin »

It seems that the issue is caused by some viruses or maybe some corrupted Windows system files. To find out what is causing disk activity, you should open the task manager and view the processes accessing the hard drive. If you need further clarification, please don't hesitate to seek help. Also, I know some guys who offer excellent IT support. They're very skillful, and the services are super affordable. The last time I've used their services, they helped me recover some lost data, and they did an amazing job. You can check them out at salvagedata.com.

Return to “ADM general”