What use are the sleep features when they never trigger? Can it be fixed?

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Delgado
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Re: What use are the sleep features when they never trigger? Can it be fixed?

Post by Delgado »

@PyroPath
Thanks for the detailed answer. Have you ever disconnected the LAN cable and then checked whether the NAS goes into S3 sleep? This test could further narrow down the cause.
If the NAS does not go into the S3 sleep state, then the NAS itself is the problem, otherwise it is due to the network traffic that prevents the NAS from switching to the S3 sleep state.

@All
Are there any other members here who have had experience with the S3 Sleep feature and could comment on the reliability of this feature?
Delgado

Post by Delgado »

orion wrote:"Adopting SSD as volume-1 is the way." Volume-1 is special volume which all apps installed. Yes, NVMe can work as SSD if your ADM version is up-to-date.
Where exactly can you set this in the ADM that the NVMe can work as SSD?

I don't see any possibility in the live demo of ADM (https://www.asustor.com/de/live_demo).
The PyroPath

Post by The PyroPath »

Delgado wrote:@PyroPath
Thanks for the detailed answer. Have you ever disconnected the LAN cable and then checked whether the NAS goes into S3 sleep? This test could further narrow down the cause.
If the NAS does not go into the S3 sleep state, then the NAS itself is the problem, otherwise it is due to the network traffic that prevents the NAS from switching to the S3 sleep state.
Tried it disconnected from Lan for 48 hours, didn't help, so it's not the network, just system process "actmand" which triggers every 5 minutes...
The PyroPath

Post by The PyroPath »

Delgado wrote:
orion wrote:"Adopting SSD as volume-1 is the way." Volume-1 is special volume which all apps installed. Yes, NVMe can work as SSD if your ADM version is up-to-date.
Where exactly can you set this in the ADM that the NVMe can work as SSD?

I don't see any possibility in the live demo of ADM (https://www.asustor.com/de/live_demo).
I believe you can change it to storage or cache in storage manager, then volume, then management tab. There is an SSD caching selection, but that doesn't work for me, because no SSD
Delgado

Post by Delgado »

The PyroPath wrote:I believe you can change it to storage or cache in storage manager, then volume, then management tab. There is an SSD caching selection, but that doesn't work for me, because no SSD
I think you can only set in which mode the SSD cache should run. However, we do not want an SSD cache in our case, but we want the SSD to be operated as a data volume.
Can anyone here say where I can make this setting in ADM, that the NVMe SSD is operated as a data volume?

@orion
You had written above that this is possible. Can you tell me where the setting is in ADM?
orion

Post by orion »

Delgado wrote: @orion
You had written above that this is possible. Can you tell me where the setting is in ADM?
Keep your ADM version to the latest one. After you put M.2 devices onto NAS, you will be able to select M.2 devices as volume device when creating volume. The behavior is the same as normal disk or SSD.
Delgado

Post by Delgado »

@orion
Thanks for your answer.
Delgado

Post by Delgado »

Who wants to know exactly. I found a video on the subject of setting up an SSD as a data volume.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jViQRp7s5g
The PyroPath

Post by The PyroPath »

Just installed a 1 TB NVME SSD and set it as volume 1. I have a 2nd Disk set as volume 2, which should be basically my main storage volume. So far, so good and the Hdd goes to sleep!

But is it possible to set or link or mount the home folders etc to volume 2? I want to use for example photogallery 3 as a Google photo's replacement and the auto backup of Aifoto 3 stores the backup on volume 1 in a subfolder of the home folder and that can't be changed... Filling up the drive FAST
The PyroPath

Post by The PyroPath »

Don't know if it's a compatibility issue with the HDD or "normal" behavior, but since adding the NVMe SSD as volume 1 the NAS goes to S3 sleep each and every time. So that might be a good fix for anyone facing the same issues :)

Return to “ADM general”