What use are the sleep features when they never trigger? Can it be fixed?

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Delgado
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Re: What use are the sleep features when they never trigger? Can it be fixed?

Post by Delgado »

The PyroPath wrote:Don't know if it's a compatibility issue with the HDD or "normal" behavior, but since adding the NVMe SSD as volume 1 the NAS goes to S3 sleep each and every time. So that might be a good fix for anyone facing the same issues :)
This is good news, but have you checked if your NAS is really in S3 sleep state (system hibernation) or maybe the NAS is just in HDD hibernation?

In S3 sleep, the 120mm fan should also switch off, the complete system should shut down.

According to the manual, the LED should light up orange continuously when the NAS is in S3 Sleep. Is your LED permanently orange?

Were you able to solve the problem with the Home folder, that not all data is written to the SSD?
RedRidePirate

Post by RedRidePirate »

Reason
This problem may occur under one or more of the following conditions:

It is running Windows Vista and has not been updated to Service Pack 1 or later.

The basic input output system (BIOS) of the system installed on the computer reduces power to the port to which the input device is connected. Note. You may not be able to use Bluetooth devices to resume operation in certain power management modes (for example, "pause" or "sleep"). In some power-limited modes, the wireless transmitter may not receive information from Bluetooth devices.

You are using a laptop or laptop computer that does not allow you to resume the process using a Bluetooth device. If problems occur, wake up your laptop using the Bluetooth device first.

The keyboard element in the control panel is not configured to wake up the computer when a key is pressed on the keyboard.

The computer is experiencing system problems.

The sleep section on the keyboard is not configured correctly.
Delgado

Post by Delgado »

What should this tell us?
The PyroPath

Post by The PyroPath »

Delgado wrote:
The PyroPath wrote:Don't know if it's a compatibility issue with the HDD or "normal" behavior, but since adding the NVMe SSD as volume 1 the NAS goes to S3 sleep each and every time. So that might be a good fix for anyone facing the same issues :)
This is good news, but have you checked if your NAS is really in S3 sleep state (system hibernation) or maybe the NAS is just in HDD hibernation?

In S3 sleep, the 120mm fan should also switch off, the complete system should shut down.

According to the manual, the LED should light up orange continuously when the NAS is in S3 Sleep. Is your LED permanently orange?

Were you able to solve the problem with the Home folder, that not all data is written to the SSD?
Absolutely positive that it's in S3, wasn't expecting things to change, but when I wanted to reach it it was unresponsive. Went to the office and there it was, sleeping quietly with the orange LED on :-)

Didn't find a way yet to change the home directories, so this might just not be possible and depending on the app you're using. Photogallery 3 doesn't have a setting to change the file location, So I'll be looking into a copy or move script I think...
Delgado

Post by Delgado »

Hello PyroPath,
thanks for your answer. I still have one question. Can you get the NAS out of S3 sleep with a WOL or what do you need to do?
Sending a WOL should actually be enough. Is that the case?
orion

Post by orion »

You can wake NAS up (when NAS in off state or S3 state) by ACC software using PC or AiMaster using your phone. Of course, you'll need to enable WOL in ADM settings first.
Delgado

Post by Delgado »

@orion
Thank you for your answer. I have the following setup. I stream movies from the NAS via an ODROID N2 running a Coreelec with Kodi. My current NAS also has Systemhibernation (Synology DS 213+). It is no problem that the ODROID N2 can wake up the NAS (via WOL) when it is accessed via LAN. The ASUSTOR can't be woken up like this?
orion

Post by orion »

Delgado wrote:@orion
Thank you for your answer. I have the following setup. I stream movies from the NAS via an ODROID N2 running a Coreelec with Kodi. My current NAS also has Systemhibernation (Synology DS 213+). It is no problem that the ODROID N2 can wake up the NAS (via WOL) when it is accessed via LAN. The ASUSTOR can't be woken up like this?
I have no idea about ODROID N2. I guess it should be a Linux base machine. It should apply the public standard of WOL magic packet which Asustor NAS adopted too. I believe you can setup your ODROID N2 with the same way as you setup Synolgy NAS. That should be able to send WOL packet to asustor NAS. You can then wake NAS up.
Delgado

Post by Delgado »

@orion
Thanks orion, that's exactly what I wanted to hear and yes the ODROID N2 is a linux-based machine.
The PyroPath

Post by The PyroPath »

orion wrote:You can wake NAS up (when NAS in off state or S3 state) by ACC software using PC or AiMaster using your phone. Of course, you'll need to enable WOL in ADM settings first.
Basically it works with any app capable of a WOL packet, but the asustor apps also make it possible to wake without the hassle of port forwarding. I did set it up, and it works with any app now. I don't really like how it's tucked away in the asustor apps.

Return to “ADM general”