Operating System Location

Delgado
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Operating System Location

Post by Delgado »

Hello everybody,
I'm new here and I hope I have a very simple question. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a clear answer yet.

I am interested in the Lockerstor 4 (AS6604T). This has an 8GB flash memory. Is the operating system on it there? So the ADM? And the ADM is a Linux based operating system?

I currently still have a Synology NAS and have often been annoyed that the operating system is on the first partition of the first hard drive and I hope that is not the case with ASUS. That makes a simple hard drive upgrade more difficult.

Greetings from Berlin
Dirk
orion

Re: Operating System Location

Post by orion »

Delgado wrote: I am interested in the Lockerstor 4 (AS6604T). This has an 8GB flash memory. Is the operating system on it there? So the ADM? And the ADM is a Linux based operating system?
All NAS include a flash device that stores basic ADM function image. It's only for boot-up and installation. Full ADM should store onto each disk. There is one partition that mirrors to every disk. The good thing is that ADM won't be impacted when you remove / lost most of disks.
Delgado

Post by Delgado »

Hi orion,
thanks for your answer.

An example, just so I know I understood you correctly. I have a 2-bay NAS with 2*4TB hard drives and I want to upgrade to 2*8TB. If I take out the old hard drives and replace them with the new ones, I have to reinstall the ADM and have to redo all settings and App-installations. Is this correct? Or is there a way to take the ADM and settings from the old disks? Do you understand what I mean?
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
have a look to Asustor knowledge base and Asustor College

here a link for disk capacity extension : https://www.asustor.com/online/College_topic?topic=352

Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T
orion

Post by orion »

Delgado wrote: An example, just so I know I understood you correctly. I have a 2-bay NAS with 2*4TB hard drives and I want to upgrade to 2*8TB. If I take out the old hard drives and replace them with the new ones, I have to reinstall the ADM and have to redo all settings and App-installations. Is this correct? Or is there a way to take the ADM and settings from the old disks?
No, you don't need to re-install ADM and redo all settings. ADM supports on-line capacity expansion if you follow their rule. You don't even shutdown NAS. You can still access your data when expanding. The detailed information is on the link that Philippe (father.mande) provided.
Delgado

Post by Delgado »

Hello Philippe, hello orion,
thank you very much for your help. The explanations in ASUSTOR College are really good and this is exactly what I was looking for. I will also have a look at the others.

But there is one thing I still have. The hard disk extensions explained there only work if they are in a raid network. Raid-1, -5, -6 and -10 were listed.

How do I proceed if I have a 2-bay NAS with two single volumes (no raid) and want to replace a hard disk?
How do I get the ADM and the installed apps with all my settings on the new hard disk?

Greetings
Dirk
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

IIRC for non-raid you'll need to clone the hdd then expand the cloned hdd partition using the conventional way like you would do with a laptop/PC. You can achieve this with live USB on the NAS but unofficially supported.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
orion

Post by orion »

As Nazar78 described, that should be painful less. But you'll need some skills.
By the way, ADM is located onto each disk. But the installed applications are located onto volume1 which is one of your disks (2 single non-RAID volume).

Return to “ADM general”