ADM and UserHomes restrictions

Blast
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

ADM and UserHomes restrictions

Post by Blast »

I recently wiped my AS5104T with the factory reset so I could start from scratch in getting things cleaned up and running better on my 5 year old NAS.

Well during the configuration ADM informed me that UserHomes could/would be locked down so that only the user themselves would be able to get access to their own home directory once logged in. Unfortunately this causes some major issues:
- Admin account doesn't have access to the users directories.
- Admin account can't change permissions on the Users Folders
- UserHomes can't be backed up by the admin account to external USB Storage.
- Userhomes can't be RSYNC'd

While I've looked for a way to get around this, I can't find anything that is helpful in any way shape or form that states how to reverse this or at least modify this so that the UserHomes individual directories would be backed up or at least an Admin would be able to get to them.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
orion

Re: ADM and UserHomes restrictions

Post by orion »

Admin should be able to access "User Homes".

Did you enable "User Homes" shared folder (ADM web -> Access Control -> Shared Folder -> User Homes -> Edit -> UN-check "Disable file access to this shared folder")? Note: it's "un-check".

After that, admin should be able to see user homes (ADM -> File Explorer -> User homes).
Blast

Post by Blast »

Orion

Appreciate the note.
However I had this unchecked already and I was able to see the folders in UserHomes, but none of the files contained inside of the individual users folders themselves when using File Explorer in ADM. Because of this I can't back the files up in UserHomes in Backup and Restore using either USB or Rsync. Why? Well because when I do click on the users folders to back up, it flashes and then it refuses to be a selection.

This is the problem.

As I recall, when I set up the NAS it stated some security setting about "privatizing" the UserFolders so that others couldn't see the other peoples folders nor could the get access to them.

I may have to open a support case, but I don't think that will get very far since the unit is from 2015 and still running..

Ta
Blast
orion

Post by orion »

Blast wrote:Why? Well because when I do click on the users folders to back up, it flashes and then it refuses to be a selection.
mm... I don't understand. Can you post a picture here about it?
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,

As I know ...
"Users Homes" is the base of HOME folder ... in Linux it's /home (/volume1/home in A.D.M. but it's same)
"Home folder" is folder IN "Users Homes" with the name of each user ... in Linux /home/USER_NAME ...

Admin user ... is a user (standard) with some privileges BUT it's not the real full featured root user ... so file access rights are managed as for standard user

/home ("Users Homes") is under root/root (owner/group) user control
/home/admin under admin/administrators control ... it's a "user folder"
/home/USER under user/group_of_the_user control ... it's a "user folder"

"Users Homes" is read/exec only for others users and root group ... and read/write/exec for root user
"HOME" is read/exec only for others users and users group ... and read/write/exec for user

To check this (at low level) only a ssh terminal with root / your_admin_password can list exactly access right and to verify all is correct (support can do it if you don't have the skills to do it yourself)

You can try to add users in administrators group (access control / local users) and see if something change (backup etc.) (you can revert back after it's just to test)

But at Orion ask you ... please provide maximum of screen capture (or video) ... to see exactly what you do and what is the result.

Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T
Blast

Post by Blast »

Hi Guys

I appreciate your feedback and info!

I ended up factory resetting my 5104T, re-initializing it and starting from scratch. Which was something I needed to do anyway since it needed some clean from all the old applications I had removed. Which ASUSTOR doesn't remove the folders that were created for the app BTW:roll:

Once it reinitialized, I went ahead and configured it, but this time I didn't use or allow the wizard to work on setting things globally. ;)

Now things are working quite well. I have RSYNC running effectively between the 5104T and a DS718+ that I have. This works quite well! :D

Cheers

Blast
CoosV

Post by CoosV »

I recently connected my ASUSTOR to VPN and ever since then I do have problems with accessing the NAS. I have disconnected the NAS by now but the problems persist.
I have a laptop and a desktop to access the NAS., from the desktop I have no more access, and from the laptop I can't reach the directory in wich I have all my data stored.
In the ADM I see that the privilges to to this directory example and group are set to deny access and I have no idea where to set this this correct. In the User Homes directory the check is off, so where do I grant access to the Home Users and all the others.
I's sorry but I have no idea how to insert a screenshot from the settings
orion

Post by orion »

CoosV wrote:I recently connected my ASUSTOR to VPN and ever since then I do have problems with accessing the NAS. I have disconnected the NAS by now but the problems persist.
I have a laptop and a desktop to access the NAS., from the desktop I have no more access, and from the laptop I can't reach the directory in wich I have all my data stored.
In the ADM I see that the privilges to to this directory example and group are set to deny access and I have no idea where to set this this correct. In the User Homes directory the check is off, so where do I grant access to the Home Users and all the others.
I's sorry but I have no idea how to insert a screenshot from the settings
I guess you setup VPN client function, rather than a VPN server. If yes, you should put NAS services to VPN environment (far side). You can access those services from far side, rather than your local area.

Return to “ADM general”