Backup & Restore

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

chris.e
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Backup & Restore

Post by chris.e »

For the past few months this hasn't been working correctly for me.
Internal or External backup is impacted.

Is anyone else having the same problem as big as described below?

Backup (destination) disk size is empty free space eg 2TB
Source folder to be backed up = 1.1TB

Setup a backup ensuring to tick one of the options below (I believe it's a different wording depending if you are using internal or external backup type)

Internal = Skip existing file if not modified
or if using External = Archive Mode (incremental backup)

The result of both of the above options has always been that after the initial backup, only new or changed files are copied to the destination on running subsequent backup runs. However recently after the initial backup completes just fine the subsequent backups fail with "destination full". Which it isn't, at least it has away more free space to copy the 1 additional 1MB file that I for example have added to the source since the previous backup.
It's like the backup system is checking for available free space for without realising that 99% of the data to be copied is already there.

I've reported it to Asustor but that they want access to my NAS rather than just saying "yes we can recreate this we'll fix it" or "no we can't recreate this, since you've already reset your system it must be something in the file contents that's the problem" I thought I'd check here, if this is a Asustor problem then others must be impacted?
Nazar78

Re: Backup & Restore

Post by Nazar78 »

Just checked my jobs that ran after the last auto updated firmware 4.2.2.RI61. No issue here with my 10 nightly internal incremental backup jobs, one of it with the largest 1.7TB volume1 source to the same volume2 destination for all the 10 jobs which left about 450GB in free space.

Both source (raid10 18.11TB) and destination (raid5 5.4TB) are formatted in ext4. There someone reported similar but using btrfs.

Perhaps you should let Asustor support check your NAS to determine the issue hopefully issue a fix soon.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
ugyes

Post by ugyes »

I have a similar issue. The support is working on it. Probably the size calculation is not 100% perfect. We will know more maybe next week.
ugyes

Post by ugyes »

It's an issue when we use the backup now function. They will make a bug fix. The scheduled backup should be OK.
chris.e

Post by chris.e »

Yes, I have noticed it when using an on demand backup.
Interesting, thanks.

Return to “ADM general”