Network APIPA 169.254

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

ManicMark
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Network APIPA 169.254

Post by ManicMark »

Hi,

Please help? I'm locked out of my AS7004T NAS (It has the latest ADM installed)!

I changed the adaptor network settings for VLAN tagging (something like that) for both eth0 and eth1, I entered a VID (I did have a reason to try that but not be relevant here?), which I think also turned off DHCP (it displayed a warning message and I clicked yes!). I didn't have a static IP setup on the NAS just on the router.

Unfortunately my NAS ip is now 169.254.1.2, 169.254.1.3 (APIPA) because it can't communicate with my DHCP server and consequently I can't connect to the NAS.

I cant soft reset the NAS either, presumably because I turned off soft reset in the options?

Any help please, I'm a little stressed :(
Thanks,
Mark
AS7004T
Nazar78

Re: Network APIPA 169.254

Post by Nazar78 »

I'll just be brief.

If the rear reset failed, prepare a Live USB then boot your NAS off it. You can also use installers such as Ubuntu Desktop without installation. Depending on your NAS, keep hitting the DEL key during power on, then boot from the USB. Install mdadm using apt, then assemble the md0 array, mount it, then edit the network settings this file /etc/nas.conf.

Take a look at my post here, https://forum.asustor.com/viewtopic.php?f=240&t=12860, you could also possibly SSH into the NAS without the disks, reinsert them after login then do the mdadm assembly, mount and edit the conf file.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
ManicMark

Post by ManicMark »

Thanks much appreciated.
Nazar78 wrote:I'll just be brief...
Having read through this and your provided link and I can confirm you are a very talented :geek:

I'm not sure I'll be able to do what you suggest but I'll certainly try. Hope you don't mind but I'll report back from time to time as I hit problems. Thanks again ...

PS I also put in a support request which I'm waiting for ...
AS7004T
ManicMark

Post by ManicMark »

Silly question please:

I've just noticed that on the front panel I can edit the network settings!

I can change the IP address but I can't change the subnet mask, it keeps reverting to 0.0.0.0!

I was thinking that if I change the network settings on the front panel it might suddenly appear on my network? Although I can't change the subnet mask?

Thanks
AS7004T
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

Sorry I don't have your model, perhaps someone with the LCD panel can chip in. Or you should wait for Asustor Support.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
ManicMark

Post by ManicMark »

Hi. I've managed to log back into the NAS, change the settings to allow soft reset, then do a soft reset. This allowed me to get the NAS back on the network and everything now ok. Phew.

Thanks for sending me in a direction to fix the problem.
AS7004T

Return to “ADM general”