Incremental Backup and Restore

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

BobN2Tech
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Incremental Backup and Restore

Post by BobN2Tech »

I am looking at the ADM's Backup and Restore app, but I don't see a "restore" button. I want to backup all the NAS folders to an external USB drive. When I attempt to create a backup, it does not offer me an "incremental" backup. Yet, I've read elsewhere in the Ausustor site that doing incremental backup will save lots of storage, but I can't find any tutorial on doing this, nor how to restore. Can someone provide more details on whether it's possible and details on how one would restore.
orion

Re: Incremental Backup and Restore

Post by orion »

Incremental backup is to save time and copy quantity. It usually copies the modified files (or blocks) only. You can use "Remote Sync" under backup & restore, i.e., source and destination are the same NAS. Of course, you'll need to enable RSync service first. https://www.asustor.com/en-gb/online/Co ... ?topic=259
BobN2Tech

Post by BobN2Tech »

I did look at Rsync, however, I am thinking about what happened to my Asustor with the deadbolt ransom attack which destroyed all my data. I would not want to have the deadbolted files get sync'd with the backup. Also, if indeed this happens again, then how would rsync restore the original non-deadbolt files? I thought the Backup & Restore app would have been better served to do a restore of data, not just settings. Also, if it would have supported incremental backup, it would be far more useful. Does anyone know of an app that will work with the AS1104T to do what would be a lot more useful?
orion

Post by orion »

That's a totally different object, nothing related to incremental backup. I'll recommend several ways (choose one of them):
  • Snapshot is a good choice (not sure if AS1104T supports it or not). However it's just good, not perfect for deadbolt case.
  • Setup your NAS that is accessible only on LAN.
  • Prepare "another" NAS that is only for backup purpose (accessible only on LAN). Setup RSync 7 tasks in your NAS (rsync to the backup NAS with different destination folders). Schedule one task per day for every week. It implies your data are safe within one week.
BobN2Tech

Post by BobN2Tech »

The AS1104T supports snapshot but not in the Ext4 file system (which I used when I had re-init the system after deadbolt). I don't see a way to convert from ext4 to btrfs volume without starting all over again (I have 4 x 4TB in RAID5). The term Asustor uses for what I want to do is referred to as "Archive mode" backup to an external USB drive.
See https://www.asustor.com/online/online_help?id=48 I realize now that this option is only shown in the last step of Creating a backup, whether it be now or scheduled. What is not clear, is if I select "incremental" and I assume on first time it will copy everything from the folders I checked to the external drive, and then if I run the same backup again may I assume it will then do incremental?
This is what I want to do, but I don't see how to restore from an incremental backup? I don't see any restore option or do I copy the original and then copy one by one the incremental backup files in order of first to last?
orion

Post by orion »

BobN2Tech wrote:The AS1104T supports snapshot but not in the Ext4 file system (which I used when I had re-init the system after deadbolt). I don't see a way to convert from ext4 to btrfs volume without starting all over again (I have 4 x 4TB in RAID5). The term Asustor uses for what I want to do is referred to as "Archive mode" backup to an external USB drive.
See https://www.asustor.com/online/online_help?id=48 I realize now that this option is only shown in the last step of Creating a backup, whether it be now or scheduled. What is not clear, is if I select "incremental" and I assume on first time it will copy everything from the folders I checked to the external drive, and then if I run the same backup again may I assume it will then do incremental?
Yes. As I said before: "it usually copies the modified files (or blocks) only". If you do not change any files, the second backup will only do checking without copy actions. No any other fantasy magics.
This is what I want to do, but I don't see how to restore from an incremental backup? I don't see any restore option or do I copy the original and then copy one by one the incremental backup files in order of first to last?
"Restore" is the same as copy. Copy your data from the external USB drive to NAS internal folders. No any incremental histories saved, i.e., no any revisions saved, i.e., you only got "one" final backup (no revisions) in your USB drive.
BobN2Tech

Post by BobN2Tech »

Ok. Then incremental actually updates/replaces changed data to the original backup to make it current. Unlike an SVN which allows rolling back or seeing changes made. Thank you for clarifying that.
lynchienz

Post by lynchienz »

Hi, I am new here and not sure even how to ask a question. My problem is I have 2 x asus nas drives using rsync to back one up to the other. however when i go to the destination nas drive, folders that should be gone are still present. new files do go, but i want old shit removed that has been removed from source nas. any help appreciated otherwise i may as well go back to ftp backup. regards, graham, new zealand

Return to “ADM general”