Portainer

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

brujo
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Re: Portainer

Post by brujo »

Thank you for your reply
I installed portainer from the App Central, but I tried to configured myself. All other apps are working, except Filezilla and Tautulli.
Thank You
Mario
brujo

Post by brujo »

Nazar78 wrote:Neither, use Docker Standalone, then the default Unix Socket: /var/run/docker.sock.
Hi Nazar78
A portainer question;
I factory reset the AS6704 and installed portainer, I have the stand alone environment.
Most of the containers are under a bridge network with 172.170.2/16, which is not my network.
Only one container is under host, however, all is working with Filezilla being the exception.
Is the bridge network normal?
Do I need to change the network?
(See attachment)
Thank You
Mario
Attachments
D485019D-C5C0-4059-8AA5-F8D5790473A4.jpeg
D485019D-C5C0-4059-8AA5-F8D5790473A4.jpeg (808.27 KiB) Viewed 1068 times
43617CEF-C3E0-454F-8F5B-7AAC76452689.jpeg
43617CEF-C3E0-454F-8F5B-7AAC76452689.jpeg (808.27 KiB) Viewed 1068 times
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

This is not specific to portainer, it's a docker question which I think you need to understand how the network works, see here the differences between bridge and host amongst other networks, https://docs.docker.com/network/.

To summarize, a bridge network runs "isolated" in the containers. It requires DNAT to allow external access to the containers internal listening ports. Docker proxies helps to to create these ports translations, where you would supply the "-p <external-port>:<internal-port>" switch when you create a container which defaults to bridged networks by default. E.g. if the app listens to port 9000 and you create a port mapping from 9001, it will look something like this: WAN/PC->Router->NAS:9001->APP:9000.

On the other hand, if you supply the switch "--network host" when creating the container, there's no network "isolation" as the container's daemon will bind its listening ports to the host interface. As opposed to the above example, this will in turn look something like this: WAN/PC->Router->NAS/APP:9000.

Some advantages of using a bridge network are, it's isolated from the host or even you can create multiple network segments/subnets like how you would usually configure your router. You can also manage the port mappings if the port is already in use without changing the app's binding port as some apps like portainer doesn't allow this.

I've never used the Filezilla docker before but I just installed for testing purposes and there's no issues using it in bridged mode like launching the app or transferring data. You need to give more info of what is not working.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
brujo

Post by brujo »

Hi Nazar78
Thank you for your reply
I am leaving portainer alone, all the apps I installed are working, the only one not working is Filezilla.
When I open Filezilla, I get a message "Safari cannot open the page because it could not connect with the server", if I open it from Firefox, it says "Could not connect to the server".
http://192.168.2.45:25800/
I have set the following ports forwards in my Asus router: Filezilla 25800,25890 192.168.2.45 BOTH {tcp & udp}.
Any suggestion?
Thank You for all your help
Mario
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

You don't have to forward the ports to your Asus router if you don't need to access the app externally via the internet, I highly advise against this as it could expose your NAS to external attacks if you're unsure what you're doing.

Have you tried in browser incognito/private mode? This usually helps with stale cookies and/or caches.

Check is the container running?

Code: Select all

sudo docker ps -a|grep -i Filezilla
Are the ports listening?

sudo netstat -natp|grep -E ':(25800|25890)'
Are you able to reach the port locally from the NAS?

curl -I http://127.0.0.1:25800
Check the container logs:

sudo docker logs -t Filezilla
Or easier click on the "logs icon" section of the Filezilla container in "Portainer webUI" to see any specific errors, Portainer: Containers -> Filezilla -> Logs.

Else the next step is to go into the container itself to check what's going on.

sudo docker exec -it Filezilla /bin/bash
Or you can do this from "Portainer webUI" itself. Click on the "Exec Console" icon.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response

Return to “ADM general”