NVMe as Cache AND Drive

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

ChubChub
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

NVMe as Cache AND Drive

Post by ChubChub »

I setup my AS6604T with only an NVMe installed. I then installed 3x 8TB drives. Am I able to make that NVMe drive a cache drive as well? I'd like to have like 500GB as my "OS" drive, and half as cache. Something like that.

Edit: I don't mind re-starting the setup of my NAS if I have to. I just barely started setting things up, so re-starting is not a big deal.
orion

Re: NVMe as Cache AND Drive

Post by orion »

No, ADM does not support it.
ChubChub

Post by ChubChub »

Thanks for the information. Sucks, because the NVMe I installed is too big. Maybe I'll try and hunt down a smaller one and use it as cache. Bummer.
ugyes

Post by ugyes »

You can do it, if you install another one NVMe SSD. A NVMe drive can be normal drive OR cache.
c3t3HSJS

Post by c3t3HSJS »

ChubChub wrote:Thanks for the information. Sucks, because the NVMe I installed is too big. Maybe I'll try and hunt down a smaller one and use it as cache. Bummer.
th

I agree with ChubChub, I would like to use my two NVMe drives to be:
* location of ADM so my HD-raid can go to sleep 1)
* location for one or multiple volumes (like for iscsi or some docker, also that the HD-raid can sleep)
* cache for multiple volumes

1) and also the capability to move the currently installed ADM on the HD raid over to the NVMe without loosing data.
ChubChub

Post by ChubChub »

It DOES seem odd that at least some of your requests aren't possible. I mean, it's Linux. The cache drive is just a mounted location, so there's no reason that mounted location couldn't be on the NVMe.

I would say, even if it's not automatic, if we could partition the drive manually to get this capability ...

Return to “ADM general”