Disk not recognized anymore after upgrade to ADM 4.0 - Source of issue: Night mode

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

melgi
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Disk not recognized anymore after upgrade to ADM 4.0 - Source of issue: Night mode

Post by melgi »

Hi all,

I have an issue after upgrading to ADM 4.0. My system is an AS6210T and I upgraded to 4.0.0.RMD2. I have 5 disks in RAID 5 (disk 1 to 5) and 4 disks as stand alone disk and an SSD as cache.

I upgraded this morning without any issue. 10 Minutes after the upgrade I noticed my RAID5 was degraded with 1 disk: disk 4 was unavailable. Ejecting and reinserting it the disk, doesn't seem to work. What I find weird is that the green light doesn't come on when doing that. It looks like there's no power to the drive. When I shutdown or start the NAS, I can see the green light on all 10 drives light up, so there is power to all drives at that moment right before shut down.

When I switch the "faulty" drive with another new drive, the green light doesn't switch on and nothing happens. When I put the faulty drive in another slot, it is recognized (green light goes on). When I create a new volume with this drive (format and create volume), I get a reference error.

So in short what happens when I boot up the NAS is the following:
1) The message STARTING SYSTEM PLEASE WAIT shows. All 10 green lights go on.
2) The message BOOTING-STORAGE PLEASE WAIT shows. All 10 lights are still on.
3) The message BOOTING-SERVICE PLEASE WAIT shows. Within a couple of seconds after the message is displayed, the green light of Disk 4 switches off.
4) The message BOOTING-APP PLEASE WAIT shows. Disk 4 remains having the green light switched off.
5) The message DISK 4 Ejected shows. At this moment when I eject disk 4 and replace it with another disk, nothing happens. The green light doesn't come on and the new disk isn't read.

So I'm a little bit clueless now where the fault is: whether it is in the drive or the NAS. I haven't lost any data, but at the moment I'm running my RAID 5 without spare disk.

My questions:
- Has anyone experienced such faulty behaviour?
- Is there a way to pinpoint why disk 4 is ejected at the end of BOOTING-SERVICE?
- Why can't another drive be read when switching disk 4?

Maybe with your help I can solve this. Otherwise I have to open a ticket with support on this.
Last edited by melgi on Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
orion

Re: Disk not recognized anymore after upgrade to ADM 4.0

Post by orion »

As far as I know, ADM will control the power supplied disks. According to your description, it might be caused by software control. I think you should report this issue to asustor directly.
melgi

Post by melgi »

Thanx orion for your reply.

I tried to create a ticket yesterday, but everytime I get an error that I didn't choose a department, however I select it on the first page and then continue to create my ticket.

The weird thing is yesterday at some point the disk 4 light was on and I was able to format the disk and rebuild my RAID 5. However, this morning at exact 10:00 the disk was ejected (no power) and the RAID got degraded. Yesterday the issue started at 10:00 exactly.

Who from ASUSTOR support can help me create a ticket on this and figure out what's going on?

EDIT: I managed to create a ticket now with support!
melgi

Post by melgi »

I think I found the issue that's causing my Disk 4 to disconnect and reconnect at certain times every day. It has to do with the schedule of running the night mode. See underneath message I just posted in my ASUStor ticket:

"Hi,

I found the source of my issue! Last Friday I did the following:
- enabled Ez-Connect
- checked Blacklisting (which was already enabled)

After this I tried to login to my NAS remotely and kept getting the message that there were too many attempts to login to my NAS and couldn't get online remotely. I wanted to send you all the details and ask you to see if you guys could check if you can remotely connect to the NAS and then I realized the NAS kept on disconnecting Disk 4 at 10:00 hrs and reconnecting the disk at 20:00 hrs every single day. I then checked my NAS settings and found out I had Night mode on at 20:00 hrs and off at 10:00 hrs every day. Then I expected that this setting might be linked to my issue with Disk 4. I changed the setting to go in night mode at 20:00 hrs and go out of night mode at 21:00 hrs and look and behold: at 20:00 I got the message that Disk 4 was recognized and the Raid Volume 1 was being rebuilt.......and at 21:00 hrs I got the message that Disk 4 was disconnected and the Raid Volume 1 was degraded. I'm now running night mode on all the time since last Friday and Disk 4 was connected again after I did this, volume 1 was got rebuilt succesfully and I haven't had any issue anymore since then with Disk 4 disconnecting and connecting again at certain time intervals.

I think the issue is in ADM 4.0. Before I was running night mode with that schedule (on at 20:00, off at 10:00) for years and never had any logging or issue of a disk being disconnected. For the time being I'll be running night mode on all the time, until this issue gets fixed with a future update I guess.

Regards"

Return to “ADM general”