What use are the sleep features when they never trigger? Can it be fixed?

DeepAnger
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Re: What use are the sleep features when they never trigger? Can it be fixed?

Post by DeepAnger »

Delgado wrote:
The PyroPath wrote:Don't know if it's a compatibility issue with the HDD or "normal" behavior, but since adding the NVMe SSD as volume 1 the NAS goes to S3 sleep each and every time. So that might be a good fix for anyone facing the same issues :)
I have installed 2 Reletech P400 PCle SSD M.2 MVMe 512GB in my AS6510T full of HGST HUH721212ALN604 drives that never stopped before.

That very bad part is that I could not find a way to detect my fully working JBOD volume1 after I added these SSD (while the HD were removed). Although I could see the file system using WinSCP, after some command line I found here, it was impossible to add this volume as volume2 to appear in the web interface. So I had to create a new volume2 (format) again and copy (rsync) from a backup that will run for about a week (the other NAS has 1 gbps network card).

I can't tell if the NAS will go to sleep yet but I already see that even while copying to this JBOD volume2, all drives but one are now cold (20°C) while the one receiving the files is warmer (29°C). That never happened before as all drive were always warm all day long even with no request from the LAN.

The problem remains that ASUS make us believe that the drive should Hibernate while some of us have seen that it cannot work. It has been a waste of time with the support trying to find the cause (I only use this NAS with rsync and NFS, no apps). While adding one or two SSD seems to be the solution with this NAS, it is an expensive one and again a huge waste of time because we lose the perfectly working initial volume1.

Thank you for your tip.
AndyM

Post by AndyM »

Have to agree with the concerns on this one. The sleep option seemed like a good idea it really doesn't work as advertised. Having set up the two nvmes as cache it seems incoherent to have to change them to a new volume to get the sleep function working. I hope Asustor is working on a fix here.
Mondas

Post by Mondas »

DeepAnger wrote:
Delgado wrote:
The PyroPath wrote:Don't know if it's a compatibility issue with the HDD or "normal" behavior, but since adding the NVMe SSD as volume 1 the NAS goes to S3 sleep each and every time. So that might be a good fix for anyone facing the same issues :)
I have installed 2 Reletech P400 PCle SSD M.2 MVMe 512GB in my AS6510T full of HGST HUH721212ALN604 drives that never stopped before.

That very bad part is that I could not find a way to detect my fully working JBOD volume1 after I added these SSD (while the HD were removed). Although I could see the file system using WinSCP, after some command line I found here, it was impossible to add this volume as volume2 to appear in the web interface. So I had to create a new volume2 (format) again and copy (rsync) from a backup that will run for about a week (the other NAS has 1 gbps network card).

I can't tell if the NAS will go to sleep yet but I already see that even while copying to this JBOD volume2, all drives but one are now cold (20°C) while the one receiving the files is warmer (29°C). That never happened before as all drive were always warm all day long even with no request from the LAN.

The problem remains that ASUS make us believe that the drive should Hibernate while some of us have seen that it cannot work. It has been a waste of time with the support trying to find the cause (I only use this NAS with rsync and NFS, no apps). While adding one or two SSD seems to be the solution with this NAS, it is an expensive one and again a huge waste of time because we lose the perfectly working initial volume1.

Thank you for your tip.
I'm basically in the identical situation. I was hoping if I installed the SSD's as a new volume1 then the old volume1 (in my case a RAID) could still be seen as a volume2. But from your experience, I'm going to be spending a week restoring from backups I think...

Thanks for this post as I think it ansxwers my question even though it's bad news.
DeepAnger

Post by DeepAnger »

Maybe I did not do what was necessary because no one told me how to. You may be lucky trying something similar.

What I noticed in the beginning of the rsync copy is that not only the first of the 10 drives was warm but also drive 7. Only ASUS knows why...

I have bought a 2.5 G Ethernet card from AE for my other home made NAS under OMV and that card has been recognized immediately. I don't have a 10 G or even 2.5 G switch but I connected it directly in the second 2.5 G port of the AS6510T. I have been able to copy from the OMV to the ASUS NAS faster than 1 Gbps but not much (because both have a large JBOD volume so it is one disk to another). I'm now thinking of factory reseting it again to put it in RAID 0 instead of JBOD for faster transfer.
DeepAnger

Post by DeepAnger »

DeepAnger wrote:
October 2022 update as a WARNING for others : The workaround some found using SSDs as volume1 did not work long. it probably comes from one of the many upgrades they published (now 4.1.0.RLQ1) but all disks in volume2 are always warm, even with no network activity (and no app installed). I'm really tired of this. Is it so hard to make unused disk hibernate ? Can't asustor hire programmers that know what they do and can make tests ?

The hibernation log shows that madm constantly reads that volume2 to prevent disks from hibernating !

After several years, this is clearly a lost cause and I'm in the process of converting this nas to raid0 instead of jbod. At least, I expect to increase rsync speed that's needed for backup.

Return to “ADM general”