JFYI: ADM 3.5.3.RBH1 does not notify critical HDD issue

Nazar78
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

JFYI: ADM 3.5.3.RBH1 does not notify critical HDD issue

Post by Nazar78 »

JFYI, just to share I've just opened a ticket with Asustor support. Not sure if it only affects my unit but think we should check the system log regularly to avoid unexpected pitfall.
Hi Support,

There was no notifications (email/ADM mobile app push notification) sent on hard disk failures on the latest ADM 3.5.3.RBH1 firmware. I had a similar hard disk failure when I first got the NAS and all the notifications works.

Today my fourth bay hard disk reported bad sectors during the weekly scheduled scan. The disk was automatically removed from my RAID 10 array marked as degraded. I wasn't aware of this event not till almost 12 hours later I logged in to check the system which then I noticed hard disk 4 has no temperature value following to see its bad blocks issue in the system log.

I've confirmed there was no notification sent via email, ADM mobile app push notification and it's not even showing under the ADM portal "Tools" -> "Important logs". One would only notice if they view the system log and Storage Manager. I've also confirmed my email notification setup works no issue with the provider and I received the test emails.

Disappointingly this is a very critical event which ADM completely failed to notify.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
orion

Re: JFYI: ADM 3.5.3.RBH1 does not notify critical HDD issue

Post by orion »

mm... I just checked that I can receive warning notification e-mail from my NAS. I do not encounter error / critical events currently. Not sure if NAS effects the problem only on critical event case or not. Hope it can be solved soon.
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

Hard disks failures and degraded arrays are critical events and there should be notifications. My email notification tested works fine just that the latest ADM didn't even attempt to notify the hard disk failure. This can go unnoticed till too late if when the next disk in the array failed resulting into total data lost.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

Had replies from support. They pointed out the badblocks scan results that contain errors are listed as INFO and I didn't checked the INFO notification :shock: SMH...

So what we can derived from my situation is that bad sectors discovered during scheduled scans is not serious according to ADM as they're marked it as INFO. Also the array got degraded after the bad sectors appearing on the 4th hdd is also not serious that nothing was logged even no notification sent or alarms triggered.

I've replied a piece of my mind and they have forwarded to the engineers for evaluation but not sure if they are taking this bug seriously to push for a fix in the next release. This is not a request but a serious bug. Hello? Any Asustor representative reading this?
Ticket ID: 38012

Hi ******,

Then this issue is more apparent.

Firstly, how could ADM categorize bad blocks results with errors found considered as INFO? Shouldn't it be at least a WARNING? Don't you see and agree how flawed this is? Users will get tons of unnecessary notifications if the info is checked, I've already tried that when I first got the NAS.

And secondly, the RAID 10 array was marked as degraded and still no notification sent. Since you've pointed out, I checked back the logs again and it didn't show anywhere in it. I only noticed the disconnected harddisk #4 when I went to the system info and noticed harddisk #4 has no temperature value. It wasn't even in the WebUI important logs and no alarms triggered.

Do you see how serious this is? I saw tons of errors in dmesg with regards to this issue. If nobody noticed because no notification was sent due to Asustor deemed bad blocks found as INFO, then if the 2nd harddisk fail in the next few days, the whole array will be destroyed including its data.

This is definitely a top priority bug to fix in the next release.

Noted from Ñážàŕ's Note20 Ultra..._\m/
Hide quoted text

On Wed, Dec 2, 2020, 14:19 ASUSTOR Technical Support <esupport@asustor.com> wrote:
Hi ******,

It seems you have not checked "Information" in Push Notification, as bad-blocks-found message belong to info.

Kindly see the attached picture.

---
Regards,

Phone:+886-2-7737-0888 Ext 3905
Fax:+886-2-7737-0899
Technical Support Department
ASUSTOR Inc.,
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

orion

Post by orion »

I second the point. The INFO notification is too many and too noisy. I'm writing the same request...

Return to “ADM general”