AS6302T and Netflix

Interested in our products? Please post any inquiries here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

giocas
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

AS6302T and Netflix

Post by giocas »

Hello,

I'm looking to buy the AS6302T model.
Clicking here, in the section “Do other devices support Ultra HD streaming with Netflix?”
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/13444
As you will see, only a very limited amount of devices obtained the 4K Netflix official approval.

Apparently Asustor is not included in this list, so I’m asking if this NAS is at least capable to reproduce 1080p movies or only 480p.

Of course best scenario would be the Ultra HD, since this NAS comes with native HDMI 2.0 video output.

Thanks to clarify me this point
MikeG.6.5

Re: AS6302T and Netflix

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

A lot is going to depend on the available bandwidth. Netflix does its own calculations during the stream, so even if you have sufficient bandwidth, Netflix might not see it as such. Any other network traffic could have a huge impact on how Netflix works. Any downloading or other things like gaming can have an immediate and detrimental affect to the way Netflix works.

If you look at the list you linked, there are no NAS manufacturers listed at all. QNAP, Synology, WD and others are missing on the list. If you are heart set on 4K Netflix a NAS is not the way to go.

OTOH, 4K streaming of your own media and a NAS is hard to beat. You store the media on the NAS and run apps like Plex Media Server as well as Plex Media Player to use the HDMI out and you should be good to go.
giocas

Post by giocas »

Hello, thanks for your perfect explanation.

My question was to be intended in a perfect scenario, what is the maximum possible resolution.
Many devices, including the most part of Android Mini PC, excellent for 4K movies playing, simply works at 480p on Netflix, due the lack of special agreement with Netflix corporation.
So, again, is 1080p possible on this Asustor model?
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

Through Netflix? Didn't know so I ran a test. Yes Netflix does play at 1080i on my TV through the HDMI port on the NAS to the TV. My TV isn't likely to do 1080p as it's a bit on the old side.

So as far as Netflix is concerned, yes, you can play 1080 HD TV on the NAS through to a TV via HDMI.
giocas

Post by giocas »

Yes, it was exactly the test I was looking for.
Really thanks for this.

Of course any other test or feedback on this would be appreciated.
Ptoube

Post by Ptoube »

I think that Netflix runs as part of chrome.
As I remember chrome doesn't support 1080p only 720p for Netflix.
I also read somewhere that only ie support 1080p.
So.... You may have buy a premium pack from Netflix, and you may have set the settings to 1080p but according to Netflix and chrome you want get them.
Except if Netflix app of asustor isn't just a chrome tab...... But an approved app by Netflix (there isn't such think at Netflix page).
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
Ptoube wrote:I think that Netflix runs as part of chrome.
As I remember chrome doesn't support 1080p only 720p for Netflix.
I also read somewhere that only ie support 1080p.
So.... You may have buy a premium pack from Netflix, and you may have set the settings to 1080p but according to Netflix and chrome you want get them.
Except if Netflix app of asustor isn't just a chrome tab...... But an approved app by Netflix (there isn't such think at Netflix page).
YES you are true
Netflix on Linux can be get ONLY through Web Browser
... through Chrome it works well but limited by Netflix choice (resolution)
NO native client exist for Linux

Alternative exist BUT not really usable on a NAS
... use a Windows10 V.M. ... but you will be limited by the overhead and the non usage of video acceleration
... port the Windows netflix client using : Wine, momo, msttcorefonts, Gecko and some "hands on"
... ... but even you run naively (as Linux application) the cost in term of performance is enormous and the result ... not sure

So in term of "works" ... using Chrome is a good advice (even limited) or add the cost of an Android TV or Box able to play Netflix Android client ... and less .. use a Chromecast and cast the Netflix media

Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T
Ptoube

Post by Ptoube »

So we have two major disavantages.
1) no more Kodi
2) need to buy another device for Netflix.
Here in Greece we have cable TV from abroad only with Netflix or Kodi, so I was counting on it especially when I heard that I can have both of them on asustor, I was very happy!!!
I think that asustor can solve both problems, especially Netflix I think it could be solved quiet easy. And let's not forget that Netflix and Kodi were strong cards at asustor as a media hub campaign,...
720p is unacceptable for a 4k TV...
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
Ptoube wrote:So we have two major disavantages.
1) no more Kodi
2) need to buy another device for Netflix.
Here in Greece we have cable TV from abroad only with Netflix or Kodi, so I was counting on it especially when I heard that I can have both of them on asustor, I was very happy!!!
I think that asustor can solve both problems, especially Netflix I think it could be solved quiet easy. And let's not forget that Netflix and Kodi were strong cards at asustor as a media hub campaign,...
720p is unacceptable for a 4k TV...
I can't write a response for Asustor (I am a user like you) but
... for kodi searching the forum help you to understand the licence problem linked to Dolby and others sound codecs ... company without added value and new software use law constraints to force hardware provider (like NAS) to pay licence (and it's not low cost) for proving software AND hardware as a unique provider ... so Asustor and other (like QNAP) stop to provide Kodi as part of their offer ... because it's not their core business. The constraint is linked to hardware ... so no possibility to buy a licence (by the user) to use the codec ... deadlock (but external (to NAS provider) solution can exist ... )
... for Netflix .. please complaint Netflix directly ... and ask to have a Netflix Linux client ... or at least (like Plex) the source code permitting a port even no official version exist ... IT'S NOT an Asustor choice.

It's difficult to complaint again Asustor on this point (I don't speak about all points :roll: ) they are the first victim ... and us by ricochet ...
The only complaint is (after they receive constraint) if they continue to promote NAS as a full (truncated (codecs) version can be provide) media player in the list of licence request from Dolby. (ex. Serviio, FFmeg, Kodi ... ) only external (from Asustor) solution can help us ... never from Asustor itself ...

Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T

Return to “Presales”