ASUSTOR AS7004T Torrent client

Interested in our products? Please post any inquiries here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Olly_K
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

ASUSTOR AS7004T Torrent client

Post by Olly_K »

Hey guys, I'm pretty experienced with NAS' having both Synology and QNAP but neither do exactly what I need.

I'm looking for a NAS with an i3 CPU for some high bit rate transcoding to multiple devices at once.

More importantly, I can see the ADM software supports torrent clients like uTorrent, but does it actually have a UI within ADM rather than just a web UI like deluge etc? Does it also support a proxy/VPN config or does the built in download client have these features? I've tried using an ADM demo but I don't seem to be able to install apps from the demo site.

Thanks!
MikeG.6.5

Re: ASUSTOR AS7004T Torrent client

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

None of Asustor's "apps" have a "page" in the ADM. They are all browser based. Because the ADM itself is browser based. So opening any app opens another browser window or tab, and requires the correct ports to be opened on your router for remote access. This is currently one "drawback" as fa r as any out of box NAS solutions, IMO... Everything is web based. Running apps "natively" requires some hoops to be hopped through, and not everyone is tech savvy enough to make this happen. These devices are made to a low common denominator. It can be difficult to make them do exactly what is desired without a lot of web searching or extra work. (Common to all models and manufacturers of NASes, BTW, not just Asustor.)

The exception to this is if you install the excellent HX_Desktop app by @Father.Mande. His app is a full GUI port, and displays directly on the HDMI output, as long as your TV can see the ASPortal app on it through the HDMI.

I run Deluge on my 7004T. It runs flawlessly. and is much more stable than uTorrent or Asustor's Download Center. (The last one is a far cry from being ready for primetime, IMO.)

If you look at my signature you will find a lot of links about Plex Media Server on the Asustor platforms. With over 3 years running the suite, I have pretty extensive knowledge of how to tweak and peak it for most models. (With the exception of the AS20x, AS30x and AS-100x models which are way light on CPU power.) Most of this "peaking" is in media management. If you have a wide mix of containers and codecs, well, it's going to be difficult to make even the 7004T perform well. Standardization is the biggest key.

With a post I have here in the Tips and Tricks, I tell you how to enable Plex's HW Transcoding Beta (Which requires a Plex Pass to download and use) on your NAS and can significantly decrease the CPU requirements for any transcodes.

Plex is a Client/Server suite. Which means that a component is required on the NAS and another component on the playing device. (Plex Media Server app on the NAS, and which ever client app depends on your client devices.) Again, through the fantastic work of @Father.Mande we also have Plex Media Player available through either ASPortal or through his fantastic desktop app. I am currently running it through ASPortal and love it better than the default app on my TV. (Visio)

My NAS (Before HW Transcoding) was successful in streaming to 7 clients, 2 of which were transcodes. The other 5 streams were Direct Play. These files are basically copied straight to the client device and played by it, with no modifications. CPU usage is under 5% per stream in this case. Transcoding takes a bit more. I was able to do at least 2 and some times 3 streams simultaneously when transcoding, depending on the bitrates in question. (Again, before HW Transcoding.) With HW Transcoding I have tested 3 streams and seen a maximum of 30-35% CPU usage TOTAL with those three streams. ((I use NetData for reporting CPU usage, and again, there's another app @Father.Mande has helped with.)

At one point I was sharing with 25 different people. And most of them accessed the server locally. For those accessing it remotely, it still worked nearly flawlessly. (I was watching a new episode of GoT with my GF on the phone as she watched the same episode from my NAS. I was in Alaska, she was in Western Washington.)

Hope I answered your questions and gave you more food for thought.
Olly_K

Post by Olly_K »

Thanks for the comprehensive reply!

I hate the idea of other apps being web based as it usually means I have to open up more ports on my firewall for these extra applications.

I've thought about this long and hard and I've decided to build a mini ITX i5 PC and use that as a NAS instead.

Thanks again
sksbir

Post by sksbir »

MikeG.6.5 wrote:None of Asustor's "apps" have a "page" in the ADM. They are all browser based. Because the ADM itself is browser based.
Right.
So opening any app opens another browser window or tab, and requires the correct ports to be opened on your router for remote access.
This is true for eg: nextcloud, owncloud, plex server, virtualbox, transmission.... This is false for eg : UPNP server, ftp explorer : they are integrated in ADM web server so still visible on same port than ADM.
Some APPs use the default web server provided within ADM ( different from ADM web server : an end user web server, that you may activate or not ).
Other APPS populate their own web server ( Transmission).
I run Deluge on my 7004T. It runs flawlessly. and is much more stable than uTorrent or Asustor's Download Center. (The last one is a far cry from being ready for primetime, IMO.)
. +1. I'm using transmission, and remote admin tool ( transmission remote on Android, or Tremotesf on Android ) without mapping port to outside ( I use VPN if I want to use it from outside ), and I'm very happy with it too.

Return to “Presales”