AS202TE Linux Version and file format

Interested in our products? Please post any inquiries here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Mellontes
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

AS202TE Linux Version and file format

Post by Mellontes »

Hi,
In early December of 2016, I updated the ADM to its recent version (whatever that is). Sis weeks later I sold the AS202TE and took out my two HDDs without copying the data (it was a quick sale and I was SOOOO busy - anyway, just an excuse).

My problem now, as you no doubt have already figured out, is how do I get my data back. I have a Windows 8.1 Pro desktop (recently acquired after the sale of the AS202TE). I am hoping there is some way to retrieve the data off of those HDDs in that Windows machine.

But to do this, don't I need to know what version of Linux was previously used and the file format the data is presently in?

So, if someone knows the answer to this question, it would be GREATLY appreciated. Please don't get too technical though...I am new at this stuff.

Thanks!
orion

Re: AS202TE Linux Version and file format

Post by orion »

That's more easy if you use Linux PC to recover your data. The format is basically ext4 file system with md on top of it (depends on what RAID format you choose). I have no ideas about how to recover data on Windows system.
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

You can install an ext4 driver in Windows and might be able to get to the drives that way, but if they are in a raid, and you don't have them hooked up right, you might not see your data.

I honestly don't know if you can use an external enclosure to put the drives into a USB bus and access them or not. But this would be where I would start. Get a 2-bay or however large you need for the drives, and then attach that to the Windows machine.

But, honestly, I would contact Asustor though a ticket (Need the serial number from the NAS to do it.) at http://support.asustor.com.

Short of buying another Asustor NAS I'm not sure what other steps you can do. (You can take any drives initialized on any model of Asustor NAS and plug them into another model and get to the data.)
Mellontes

Post by Mellontes »

Things just got worse. My SSD with Windows just got corrupted. So, I now have Ubuntu installed but still can't read the drives. It SEEMS that the derives are reporting in at 267 Mb each which, of course, isn't even remotely close to the 3.5 Tb of data stored on two WD 3.0 Tb drives. No RAID configuration - just JBOD.

First day with Ubuntu as well :(

Can't seem to locate any disk management apps to run...

Fairly lost...
SPOinNS

Post by SPOinNS »

I don't know if it's common knowledge but the AS-20XX series uses a 32 bit version of ADM. Asustor don't hide the fact but they don't publicize it either. It might be relevant to your recovery efforts.
orion

Post by orion »

Mellontes wrote:Things just got worse. My SSD with Windows just got corrupted. So, I now have Ubuntu installed but still can't read the drives. It SEEMS that the derives are reporting in at 267 Mb each which, of course, isn't even remotely close to the 3.5 Tb of data stored on two WD 3.0 Tb drives. No RAID configuration - just JBOD.

First day with Ubuntu as well :(

Can't seem to locate any disk management apps to run...

Fairly lost...
I think you can study "mdadm --assemble", "gdisk" and "mount" commands under Ubuntu. You should be able to recover your data back.
Mellontes

Post by Mellontes »

Problem is solved. Managed to mount the right drives and saved to external storage.

Thanks for all suggestions!

Return to “Presales”