Replace the AS606T

Interested in our products? Please post any inquiries here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Rainz
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Replace the AS606T

Post by Rainz »

In a few months I plan on replacing my AS606T. It has run almost flawlessly for the better part of four years and the only reason to replace it is my usual hardware replacement every 3 years or so. Never used any of the apps and the storage was configured as a simple file backup from a server FS.

I do not think I will use any apps in the future, I would perhaps look for a physically smaller NAS, but still with at least 6 3.5" drives, for space (SSD is still expensive for large drives). Currently have it configured as a RAID5 with 6TB space. Also bought the RAM upgrade to 3GB.

What NAS should I get next?
MikeG.6.5

Re: Replace the AS606T

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

If you want a machine that will fit your needs for the next 3-5 years, and give you options for even longer just skip to the 7008T. It has an i3 CPU in it, as well as 8 bays for storage. It's not going t be smaller than your 606, but it is going to have the extra 2 bays in it.

You can use Link Aggregation with it, for faster transfers, upgrade it to 16GB of memory, support up to 3 USB 3.0 ports for further storage expansion, and if you set up the excellent HX_Desktop from Father_Mande you can even use it as a full blown HT system directly on your TV. Asustor has already thought out how to go about migrating to this from your older unit. Just take the drives out of the old unit, put into the new, turn it on and everything should be there. You may need to update any apps you had (although you said you didn't have any) to the 64-bit version.

I seriously wish I had gone with the 7008T instead of the 7004T when I upgraded my NAS from the 202T.

In any case, if you want to save yourself some headaches when it comes to migrating your data from new device to the other, this is the route I would go. And in these steps:

1) Turn off 606T and remove drives.
2) put drives into 7008T and turn on unit.
3) It's going to want to update ADM, let it.
4) Data should be there, and all of your shares and users, etc. should be there as well.

Going with any other method (or manufacturer) is going to require transfer across the network, which could take a while...
Rainz

Post by Rainz »

Thanks, it is also three times the prize what I gave for the 606... :o

I do like the solution, but I think I am more inclined to go towards 5 or 6 series with 8 or 10 drives. Upgradeable to 8GB RAM.

A bit too many to choose from I must admit, but 6208 could be interesting. The again the 5008 has faster CPU.

Tricky
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

I look at it as an investment in my home theater. Spending the money now to do the tasks I request it to do tomorrow is the key here. Buying a 620x series which may fit today's requirements and save you a couple hundred bucks is short term thinking, IMO. Spend the money up front and sit back for the next 3-5 years with little to no additional expenses.

You also have to look at how you intend to use the NAS. If it's just housing the data that's fine, but if it's also serving up your movies, how is it doing it? Is it transcoding? Does the CPU have the power to handle transcoding?

If you replace the 620x series in 3 years or use the more expensive 700x for 2 additional years, which was better spent money?
orion

Post by orion »

Rainz wrote:T
but 6208 could be interesting. The again the 5008 has faster CPU.
That's actually not correct. AS-6208T adopts the newer CPU generation. Although the frequency is slower than 5008, the CPU & GPU performance are actually faster. Intel does not chase CPU frequency any more (although that information indeed confused us).
Rainz

Post by Rainz »

Mike, yes you do of course have a point in that.

I never looked at any kind of streaming since all my attempts have ended up showing less video quality that the one you get from opening the video file from a shared folder, that may of course change if I buy a SmartTV but is still true for watching films or series from any device. As for Orions CPU statement, yes that is of course true, but I did not dig deep enough in regards to that. On the desktop side I have always been and AMD user, not had an Intel CPU since Pentium MMX...

Return to “Presales”