JBOD and SSD

Interested in our products? Please post any inquiries here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Jan65
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

JBOD and SSD

Post by Jan65 »

I have a question, before buying.
I need to get the OS/ADM to load faster, after Sleep/S3.
Is this a possible solution :
- to make a JBOD storage solution: With SSD as 1. drive (around 16GB), and HDD as 2. drive (WD-Red, 4TB). [mayby installed/initialized after the SSD, to insure that the SSD is at the "buttom/start" of the JBOD-pool].
My hope: That ADM is placed on 1. drive, and that ADM isn't placed on both drives - because I hope that, after sleep, the ADM will startup from SSD (and NOT the HDD) => significantly faster startup / wake-up after sleep.
The NAS, i plan to buy: AS-5102T.
MikeG.6.5

Re: JBOD and SSD

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

I think the OS is placed on all drives internal to the device, as a fail over, in case one drive gets corrupted, the NAS should still be able to start. The one exception I know of is if you use Raid 0. With Raid 0 you basically extend one drive into the next, and the next, etc. So you have one seamless logical drive out of how ever many physical drives are in the device. There is no fault tolerances with this, so if one drive fails you lose EVERYTHING on all drives.

I wouldn't use JBOD for love, money, free ?, or Mountain Dew for life, if any of those were on the table... The stability and fault tolerances of JBOD is nil, and restoring data too time consuming.

And for using an SSD as the Drive 1? The NAS is going to boot up faster than you thought possible. BUT, some applications write their data to the /volume1 partitions, so that SSD can get full rather fast. Plan accordingly, and make sure that you have enough space on the disk... (1TB SSD should work well for most things.) I know Plex Media Server writes all of the library metadata to the library files located on /volume1 specifically... (This can be changed, if you want to.) There are a lot of other applications that do as well. And any app installed from App Central will do this behavior by default. You need to change it on a per app basis by editing config files. (WinSCP saves the day here, since most app's config files are hidden from the casual user.)

If you are planning on any media streaming the 510x series is a bit light on CPU. With only 1800+ passmarks. It's not BAD, but not great, either. If you plan on streaming media from your NAS invest in the powerhouse 7004T. Having a true CPU in it makes a world of difference in operations. (It has an i3 chip. Take a look at my sigs for a comparison.)

Return to “Presales”