cloud and upload services without editing privileges

Interested in our products? Please post any inquiries here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Pilloso
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

cloud and upload services without editing privileges

Post by Pilloso »

Hello everybody,
I'm interested to a AS5102T NAS for a customer with some particular need:
- uploading file (docs, pdfs and photos) from several external client, each in his personal directory with different login credentials, but clients DO NOT HAVE to edit or clear previously uploaded files;

I ask if NAS can make it through cloud service or other services that also allow to easily upload photos by smartphone.

I already readed full user guide and also Cloud Connect dedicated guide but it is unclear if through cloud I can create multiple users and if there are functions to limit editing rights or manage versioning of uploaded files with timestamp.

My goal would be to create an archive that remote clients can upload but not alter, while the administrator (in local) must be able to change everything.
MikeG.6.5

Re: cloud and upload services without editing privileges

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

ownCloud MIGHT be able to do what you want, but not sure. I think the owner (uploader) owns the documents and retains rights to edit, change, or delete the document.

You may want to look into it, though. I use it, but for different reasons than your use case. (I'm guessing lie a photo editor for a magazine?)
Pilloso

Post by Pilloso »

No, this is a consultant who receives files from different collaborators :)
The consultant would like an archive that is created with the contribution of his external collaborators, but it can not be changed over time, and that collaborators can refer to recheck files loaded without removing or modify them.
I know that normally who have write permission can also modify, but I hoped that an evolved NAS allows you to manage a more complex upload system, similar to that of taxpayers who upload documents on government sites and obviously can not modify them, or so many other cases like this.
Also FTP would be fine but the problem remains the same, those that upload can also delete.
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

You can use FTP to do what you want, if you set up a script to modify the permissions when a new file is uploaded. It shouldn't be hard to rig something up to do this. Set a cron job to run every few minutes, looking at the uploaded files, copy them to a protected directory, then change the permissions. give the FTP user access to the protected directory, ad as long s they only have read access that should do what you require.

The same could probably be done on ownCloud for that matter, if sharing were set up on some main file/account. Again, a cron job modifies the permissions to read only, except for the admin, and they can still have read access.

Either way, government documents have special code specifically written for this, and as far as I know we don't have someone writing that type of code, as of yet.... :) I'm sure it could probably be done, with either shell scripts or Python code, the question is, how to go about doing it.
Pilloso

Post by Pilloso »

I was just thinking the same solution but I don't know where to set scripts like this...
Perhaps among the various apps of this NAS there is something for this purpose, maybe to set macros without the need for scripts?
It seems that the only way to know is to buy the NAS and try several solutions and apps, but I was hoping for some confirmation before purchase.
Austor support simply replied me that you can not do as those who have privileges to write can also delete and edit, this is tremendously obvious, but I trust in a more in-depth answer to find a solution, because I also believe that there are other customers with similar needs.

Return to “Presales”