I regret buying Asustor

Interested in our products? Please post any inquiries here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

orion
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Re: I regret buying Asustor

Post by orion »

ramzez wrote:It maybe an old article but none of the items has been fixed.
Oops, I thought those should be fixed because those are old topic. Can you share more detailed information? For example, screen shot, operating steps... Or we don't even know what's your problems.
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

VPN is CPU and memory intensive.

Plex can be memory intensive, and definitely CPU intensive if running the index files during usage periods.

uPnP2 server I would guess is also memory intensive, due to what it does and how it works, in fact it's possible it may use more memory than Plex does.

Ramzez has already been informed that the errors he's having are related to out of memory, and since he's running a 202TE, with only 512MB of RAM and it's not upgradable, he has a few choices to make. Back off on the applications he's running, or upgrade the NAS to a model that has more memory. the problems he's having aren't going to be fixed with the current machine, unless he makes some changes to his usage patterns, or the apps are really well optimized to keep the memory foot print a lot lower than they are now.

Just so no one gets upset here, though... I encountered the same types of issues ramzez was having with my 202T. The device itself is little more than an old cell phone CPU in a toaster sized box with room for a couple of hard drives. It works for sharing out files, but that's about as good as the device is. I was never able to get a lot of apps running on the 202T. I had to schedule them fro times to run and times to not run, configuring this inside of each application itself, and not in App Central. After I became more conversant with Linux I added those times to the cron file to make turning them on and off again more automatic. (start-stop.sh is your friend once you know how to use them.)
orion

Post by orion »

Ok, I just read through Ramzez "out of memory" issue. But it seems these items (mentioned here) should not be related to it. It's better to have precise information for each issue. Or it's impossible to clarify them.

Oh, as I remembered, AS-202TE (HDMI capable) should equip 1GB memory, rather than 512MB which applied in AS-202T. Anyway, I think, in the most cases, swap space should be able to solve this kind of issues (out of memory). Not sure what's the real bottleneck.
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

Stand corrected, I thought the only differences were the HDMI on the 202TE, but you are right, it does have a full gig of memory.

Still, I was running out of memory with just Plex, DLC and SABnzb running, so it stands to reason that the 202TE might struggle with 2 full blown media streaming suites running....
orion

Post by orion »

MikeG.6.5 wrote:Stand corrected, I thought the only differences were the HDMI on the 202TE, but you are right, it does have a full gig of memory.

Still, I was running out of memory with just Plex, DLC and SABnzb running, so it stands to reason that the 202TE might struggle with 2 full blown media streaming suites running....
I'm actually curious about this issue (out of memory). I own AS-304T which equips 1GB memory. AS-304T should be similar to AS-202TE, except CPU being better. And I don't encounter this issue. However, I only installed XBMC, DLC, Looksgood, and many other non-media Apps (no plex :mrgreen: ). I only start one player engine at a time (DLC is working at the same time).
ramzez

Post by ramzez »

The only reason i have a memory issue is because of the bug in latest 2.6.0 software. Before it was running just fine.

It has 1Gb of RAM which should be enough, because before i had QNAP which had only 256Mb of RAM and was way stable then Asustor. The only problem was the speed of the network transfer.

1. I don't really know what kind of screenshots you want, just go checkout Apple App Store and see when the apps were updated and their design or support.
2. QNAP was coming with Twonky (Free of charge) and worked seamless. None of the DLNA apps i tried on Asustor, miniDLNA, UPNP, UNPN2 works robustly. First of all they just stop updating the library and reading directories doesn't help. The all Beta are Unfinished.
3. Plex i never liked it actually the only one which is working more or less, unless you of course update software and have to manually restart it.
4. see above
5. Yeah maybe you right maybe it is memory intensive but i have 150mbit download and 10mbit upload at home and none expected at least 10mbit connection but barely got 3-5. OpenVPN worked the fastest.
6. Maybe it is not Asustor fault, but the protocol, however i don't see a good backup option for MAC. The Time Machine backup gets corrupted every 2 weeks.
7. Mac utilities are joke, i don't really know why have Download Center and its app which is buggy when you can just make Transmission to be default ? But then again configuring requires skill.
8. Actually this one got resolved i think hence i updated to 2.6 which broke me big time, but i did want to be able to backup to external drive.

Overall it's just feels like nobody cares on forums for Asustor. Support is very slow. and the Software is outdated.
AS202TE
orion

Post by orion »

ramzez wrote:The only reason i have a memory issue is because of the bug in latest 2.6.0 software. Before it was running just fine.

It has 1Gb of RAM which should be enough, because before i had QNAP which had only 256Mb of RAM and was way stable then Asustor. The only problem was the speed of the network transfer.

1. I don't really know what kind of screenshots you want, just go checkout Apple App Store and see when the apps were updated and their design or support.
2. QNAP was coming with Twonky (Free of charge) and worked seamless. None of the DLNA apps i tried on Asustor, miniDLNA, UPNP, UNPN2 works robustly. First of all they just stop updating the library and reading directories doesn't help. The all Beta are Unfinished.
3. Plex i never liked it actually the only one which is working more or less, unless you of course update software and have to manually restart it.
4. see above
5. Yeah maybe you right maybe it is memory intensive but i have 150mbit download and 10mbit upload at home and none expected at least 10mbit connection but barely got 3-5. OpenVPN worked the fastest.
6. Maybe it is not Asustor fault, but the protocol, however i don't see a good backup option for MAC. The Time Machine backup gets corrupted every 2 weeks.
7. Mac utilities are joke, i don't really know why have Download Center and its app which is buggy when you can just make Transmission to be default ? But then again configuring requires skill.
8. Actually this one got resolved i think hence i updated to 2.6 which broke me big time, but i did want to be able to backup to external drive.

Overall it's just feels like nobody cares on forums for Asustor. Support is very slow. and the Software is outdated.
I read the topic about your memory issue. It seems asustor guy is working with you now.

I mean if you can provide more detailed information. We might be able to share experiences with you. For example, "just go checkout Apple App Store and see when the apps were updated and their design or support." There are too many Apps and they are updated accordingly. That's kind of ambiguity. I think you should say what's the problem on ? App. So we'll need an update on ? App. It could be something misunderstand about "problem" (may be not a bug of ? App). Share more detailed information, I believe you'll find something useful to get rid of it.

One more example, what's the problem in minDLNA? Any screen shots or log or something else to know what you mean about "works robustly"? Without it, we don't know how to have comments.
ramzez

Post by ramzez »

Just wanted to update, that I still have Asustor and still amazed how bad things are compared to competition. I only have 3 requirements which it still fails to perform:

1. backup is unreliable - I understand maybe it's time machine problem, but every 2 weeks you can simply throw away your backup.
2. photo backup from iPhone, app is horrible, not maintained. the new app for galaxy 3 just freezes all the time. What's the point of making apps which don't work??
3. Folders Sync, well you can use other addons like synthings, but the so advertised feature is only Windows based.

Time to sell for sure... :(
AS202TE

Return to “Presales”