New 8/10 bay models - 61xx/62xx series - ETA ??

Interested in our products? Please post any inquiries here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

talnas
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Re: New 8/10 bay models - 61xx/62xx series - ETA ??

Post by talnas »

I too am waiting for the new AS62xx models - mainly for price over CPU power.
I currently have a media server, where I have Plex installed, and allow access to my family and some friends to watch what ever media I have.
So at the moment CPU power is high up there on the list, as I can have anything up to 5 streams going at once - Some DirectPlay / Some Transcodes. However I'm having a re-think on who I share this out too, so limiting the usage would allow me to get a lower powered CPU in a NAS.
I have setup the port for Plex in the lowest QoS setting, as I've been having bad lag, or should I say the missus has been having bad lag on her game, especially when trying to PvP - what a shame!! :lol:

As for Mike saying the as7xxx models can be upgraded with an i7 chip - Is this actually possible?
I've been searching the forums / web for any blogs / posts where people have actually done this, and I have only found this for the QNAP NAS devices. The reason why I ask is the i3-4330 chip requires 54W, and at the moment I have been unable to find a 54W i7 equivalent. The i7-4790s (Which is used in some QNAP devices, and used by end-users to upgrade to), along with the i7-5775c requires 65W, so just the extra 9W could possibly cause heating issues, not to mention anything to do with the Bios .i.e. Would they detect the i7 chip, without an update?

I'm more than happy to be proven wrong on this, as I've been on the look out for a NAS for some time!!
As I said earlier, for now I require something with a kick, so the i3 chip would suffice. In the next 3 to 4 years I can see SFF devices being designed and made to transcode 4K content. So the i3 NAS will move from Storing / Transcoding media for Plex, to devices that can't hand it for now, to simply storing it and the SFF devices transcoding the video / audio - DirectPlay.

So has anyone come across any posts / blogs showing a CPU upgrade for the AS7xxx (i3 model) and the NAS working without any issues?
sys

Re: New 8/10 bay models - 61xx/62xx series - ETA ??

Post by sys »

you can have a look at this thread:

http://forum.asustor.com/viewtopic.php?p=22613#p22613

Seems like i5 or i7 with 65W or under can be supported.

Return to “Presales”