It is currently Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:07 am
All times are UTC + 8 hours

combining different size hdds in separate arrays in one NAS

Interested in our products? Please post any inquiries here.

combining different size hdds in separate arrays in one NAS

Postby akarali » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:21 pm

Hello,
I looked at the topics and made several searches, as well as skimming through the Asustor online college docs but couldn't find an answer to my specific question; so would be grateful for any help.

I've ordered an as5010t and waiting for its arrival. Currently I own a lenovo ix4-300d; so I've great expectations :) My question is:

Is it possible to use two different sets of HDD's (with different sizes) in separate arrays in as5010t? (e.g. an array of 5*6TB WD reds in RAID 6 and another array of 4*3TB drives out of my ix4 in RAID 5; since I can then use the ix4 with 3*2tb WD RE4GBs in RAID 5 for backup of important files and have the added capacity of my 4*3TB disks in my as5010T)

I know that in a given array the array size is determined by the smallest hdd; but, for two separate arrays, the possibility of using two separate sets of HDDs in their full capacity should depend on both the OS and the chipset / the specific raid controller(s).

Thanks in advance
akarali

Re: combining different size hdds in separate arrays in one NAS

Postby ho66es » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:42 pm

akarali wrote:Hello,
I looked at the topics and made several searches, as well as skimming through the Asustor online college docs but couldn't find an answer to my specific question; so would be grateful for any help.

I've ordered an as5010t and waiting for its arrival. Currently I own a lenovo ix4-300d; so I've great expectations :) My question is:

Is it possible to use two different sets of HDD's (with different sizes) in separate arrays in as5010t? (e.g. an array of 5*6TB WD reds in RAID 6 and another array of 4*3TB drives out of my ix4 in RAID 5; since I can then use the ix4 with 3*2tb WD RE4GBs in RAID 5 for backup of important files and have the added capacity of my 4*3TB disks in my as5010T)

I know that in a given array the array size is determined by the smallest hdd; but, for two separate arrays, the possibility of using two separate sets of HDDs in their full capacity should depend on both the OS and the chipset / the specific raid controller(s).

Thanks in advance

i have an array of 6x3tb drives in raid 5 and one of 2x1tb drives in raid 1
608t
ho66es

Re: combining different size hdds in separate arrays in one NAS

Postby akarali » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:34 pm

Thx. That solves my problem for good.
akarali

Return to Presales