Simple File Sharing

Interested in our products? Please post any inquiries here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

calendar
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Simple File Sharing

Post by calendar »

Hi team, I'm looking at the AS-202TE for simple windows file sharing and backup - nothing else.
At the moment I have a workgroup with XP, 7 (32&64bit) and 8 PCs accessing a shared drive hosted on an XP workstation. But once 9 PCs have attached to the shared drive no more can attach (Windows XP limitation I understand). Hence the main driver for the NAS plus a bit more speed would be nice.
I would like to be able to access applications and store and retrieve thousands of small (1-2m) images from 15 different Windows XP, 7, 8 and 10 (future) PCs all from the 1 NAS.
It is possible (but very unlikely) that all machines could access the NAS at the same time but if this does ever happen the bandwidth required is very low and other bottle necks in the system like the Switches and NICs will hamper performance not the NAS I suspect.

So the question how many and/or types of Win PCs can share the 202TE at the same time for simple file sharing?

Cheers
Mike
orion

Re: Simple File Sharing

Post by orion »

I believe the max connection should be much larger than 15 (as your request). However I did not try it. Actually, NAS should consume less energy and provide more sophisticated data protection mechanism. And it's much easier to setup / manage it. Those are better than a PC.
However NAS is an embedded system. You won't be able to install Windows applications.

PS: The performance on my AS304T is quite good. But I'm not sure if AS202TE/AS304T will reach 1-GbE bandwidth boundary when accessed from multiple clients. I think it's near to the boundary. You can send a support request to asustor to check it. If you do, please post here what you find out.
Ubuntux

Post by Ubuntux »

Will also depend on if the connections is encrypted..
I have an AS-604T and if i use ftp i have +100 MB/s transfers, but if i use sftp i get down to 13.5 MB/s with filezilla. If i open a temrinal and use sftp i get 19.x MB/s but then the cpu on the nas also gets a lot of work, but its secure transferred! Then theres also p2p technologies.. like Bittorrent sync.. that would increase the speed probably since you have multiple devices, but then the bottleneck is the connections.. if some is on wifi you need to get that upgradede probably...
AS-604T & AS-202T
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

From Asustor's product information pages on the 202TE:

Access Control

◾Maximum Number of Users: 4096
◾Maximum Number of Groups: 512
◾Maximum Number of Shared Folders: 512
◾Maximum Number of Concurrent Connections: 512
◾Supports Windows Active Directory

Are you wanting to install an application on the NAS and have the PC's run this app? Depending on the application, this may or may not work. It's going to depend on each application. If the apps are installed on each PC and running against data stored on the NAS, this should work fairly well. But again, this is app by app. Adobe LightRoom can't be used on network resources, so if you are using this app, you are pretty well up a creek. There are some cheats to make this work, but it won't work with more than a single device using LightRoom's DB at a time. (This involves setting up ownCloud and using this to store the DB locally to each device, then synching it to the NAS.)

With the 202TE, it's doubtful you will reach a 1GB saturation on a network. I don't think the CPU could handle this much data processing, especially with more than a handful of clients. I know my 202T never reaches saturation levels on a wired network. The CPU and memory are the bottlenecks on the device. You may be better served going with a 5002 or 5102, if you see a potential bottleneck being the NAS, itself. These have higher data handling than the 20X series, hands down. I have a 202T and a 7004T, both on a 1GB network. The 7004T consistently gets 2x to 10x the file transfer rates of the 202T, even on the exact same files. (Done from the same WiFi connected client.)

No matter what you do, do NOT expect good transfer speeds if the NAS is not wired to your switch. If you are using WiFi on the NAS, transfer rates are going to be a major problem. You will NOT be happy with it. If the clients are on WiFi, that's OK, but then the bottleneck on their transfers are on their end, not the NAS. (Always want the server on the fastest possible connection, as it may be handling more than one connection at a time. If it's slow, everything is going to be slow from everywhere. If it's fast, then the slow clients are less of an impact on the faster clients.)

HTH

Return to “Presales”