sync files and folders between Nas and PC

Interested in our products? Please post any inquiries here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Raffie1987
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

sync files and folders between Nas and PC

Post by Raffie1987 »

I know that synology has a tool to sync between PC and Nas.
I want that my docs and pictures are synced between teh pc and nas. So when I edit a document, it will also be saved on the nas. And when I delete a file on my nas, that it will also be removed on my pc. Will Asustor also create a progralm like synology cloud station to sync? Or is there another solution to sync on both ways directly?
MikeG.6.5

Re: sync files and folders between Nas and PC

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

There are a few Cloud apps that you can do this with. Check out Dropbox, Asus Web Storage, WonderBox or the one I use, ownCloud. ownCloud is easy to set up, has no size limits on the storage unless you set it up that way, and runs darned near foolproof.

The advantage to using any of these is, you can get to your data from any device that has the client app, so Android or iOS, Mac, or PC can get to the data. A drawback is having to install another app on the NAS and the devices you want to use.

I use ownCloud to get around Adobe Lightroom's inherent limitation of network shares for accessing the libraries. (Can't put the libraries on a network drive.) By using the ownCloud folder, I can sync all of my PC's to my Lightroom libraries, so I can use any of them for editing any of the photos I take. I can only use Lightroom from one computer at a time, but I can use whichever one is closest to me when I need to do a quick touch up.

HTH
Raffie1987

Post by Raffie1987 »

By dropbox the data will also be stored online. Is by owncload only the files saved on my devices? And can I select different folders on different devices to sync with owncload?
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

ownCloud can be set up to sync any folders you want to sync. It stores ONLY on the NAS, and not on the cloud, anywhere else. If you use Dropbox, AsusWebStorage or any of the others, I don't know if they store both NAS and Cloud. Not sure how that works. If you set up ownCloud and your router right, you can use the syncing from any where you have internet connections.

There is an extra app you need to install on the NAS. phpMyAdmin needs to be set up to run, so follow the directions here:

http://forum.asustor.com/viewtopic.php? ... phpMyAdmin

I just redid this on my own NAS, after upgrading to the 7004T from a 202T. The steps work well, and setting up ownCloud is a breeze. It's going to use the port ranges from Settings -> Web Server to access via either web page or client software. If you want an SSL connection, make sure you forward a port for it on your router. DO NOT RELY ON uPnP to work for this. In all likelihood it WON'T!

You been warned.

Return to “Presales”