Shared DAS and NAS

Interested in our products? Please post any inquiries here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

sphudson
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Shared DAS and NAS

Post by sphudson »

Does Asustor have a device that I can setup as follows - Setup 16TB Raid5 storage, partition into two (4TB/10TB) such that a Mac Pro can see one partition via USB3/Thunderbolt (DAS portion) and the balance of my network can see the other portion (NAS)?
Elrique64

Re: Shared DAS and NAS

Post by Elrique64 »

Uhm... Short answer: No...

Long answer... Asustor makes just NAS's A NAS is a network attached storage device. The USB ports on these devices are for attaching other external drive enclosures to, or to use other USB devices like keyboards, mice, WiFi Dongles, etc. This allows the NAS to expand as your requirements grow.

Attaching to this device via the USB to a computer is either not going to work (best case) or blow up one or both devices (worst case) as both devices have a host adapter for USB, and neither are going to step back to be a slave device.. (Ok, I exaggerated a bit about explosions... A Little bit... Maybe...) Remember, computer equipment all operate on smoke... Once you let the smoke out of them, they stop working.... :)

You can attach to a NAS via either Mac's networking or Windows networking, and make it appear as a drive, just like a USB drive would be. This is actually the preferred method to use them. I'm not aware of any product that can be used as you asked about in your post. This doesn't mean there isn't one, but I've not heard of it...

Depending on what you want to do with your NAS, don't scrimp on the original hardware. The more you get with it now, memory, CPU and drive bays, the better off you are going to be in the long run.

Edited in the italics

Return to “Presales”