Asustor AS-606T NAS

Interested in our products? Please post any inquiries here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

tingsagwaan
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Asustor AS-606T NAS

Post by tingsagwaan »

Hello, I am thinking of buying the 6 bay NAS and I would like to know a couple of things:

Is it possible to install x6 6TB drives and then create three 6TB RAID 1 drives that are accessible individually?

Can I create one 18TB RAID 1 drive?

Can I attach an external HD to the NAS and access this across the network via multiple computers?

Thanks
crazynas

Re: Asustor AS-606T NAS

Post by crazynas »

Hi
I use AS-604T is work fine. I create 2 Raid 1 in my NAS.
Can I create one 18TB RAID 1 drive? -> you can build RAID 10
http://download.asustor.com/college/en/ ... o_RAID.pdf
Can I attach an external HD to the NAS and access this across the network via multiple computers? -> Yes..
;)
Auberon2k

Post by Auberon2k »

crazynas is correct, you would have to make an 18TB RAID10. RAID1 by definition is only 2 drives, RAID 10 (really RAID 1+0) would create a Stripe (RAID0) of three drives = 18TB. Then mirror (RAID1)this to the remaining three drives.

The systems are very flexible. I have a 608T initially I loaded with 3x3TB HDDs in RAID5, 6TB usable space - 5 free slots. I have since expanded by two more of the same drives plus three older 500GB drives I had lying about as a separate RAID0 drive for some slack space I use for studying on my vmware server. Two volumes, Two different RAID settings.
Elrique64

Post by Elrique64 »

All of the above is correct, but there is one important aspect to note here. Anything that is not PHYSICALY inside the case, whether it be attached with USB or eSATA will always be it's own separate logical drive. You can't create a raid array from individual external drives, nor can you pool them together without some third party software to give a larger single drive constructed of the individual pieces as it currently stands with the ADM. For that matter you can't do any drive testing, such as bad sectors or SMART testing on the usb or eSATA bus, at this time.

I have a 5 bay raid 5 (HW raid built into the enclosure.) drive enclosure on USB 3 on my 202T. This drive cannot be added to the over-all pool of the drives in the main volume of the NAS. They will always appear as an external drive. This is good, and bad. the NAS can't do the raid configuration, which I see as a bad thing. The good thing is, I can disconnect the drive and move it to another device and get the full contents every time. (Raid 5 and 5x3TB = almost 11TB of storage on an external array that Windows 7+ and the NAS can access flawlessly.)

Return to “Presales”