question about remote access

Interested in our products? Please post any inquiries here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

jesse123
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

question about remote access

Post by jesse123 »

I'm interested in the AS-602T or 604T. I logged into the live demo and really like the interface. I was reading the user manual about remote access and have a few questions. The questions are focused around remote access for family members to view pictures and videos with occasional music streaming.

The manual mentions being able to connect directly with the NAS:
"b. Connecting directly
Enter http://Your Cloud ID.myasustor.com:8000/ to connect to your NAS. For example, if your
Cloud ID is “johnny” then you would enter http://johnny.myasustor.com:8000/.

Question #1 Does this mean it is really direct, like VPN? ( I'm new to this but read that VPN is a direct connection and secure)

Remotely connecting through the Asustor website: ("a. Connecting through the myasustor website
Enter http://www.myasustor.com/ into your Web browser. Enter your Cloud ID into the
required field and then click on [ping]. Once the [Go] button appears, click on it to connect to
your NAS.")

Question #2 Does the Asustor site act a middleman for all traffic, or is is more like a ip-pointing service?
Question #3 When remotely accessing the unit, what does the opening screen look like? Is it like logging into the live demo?
Question #4 I haven't gotten far enough in the manual, but is there mac address or ip address-level access restrictions for remote users?

Thank you for any help you can provide.
Allen@AST

Re: question about remote access

Post by Allen@AST »

Hi Jesse,

Regarding your questions:

Question #1:
You can directly connect to your NAS via HTTP. For a secure connection you can also use HTTPS after enabling it on the NAS.
We also support VPN connections (for greater security), as the NAS is able to act as either a VPN client or server.

Question #2:
The myasustor.com site is more like an "ip-pointing" service.

Question #3:
When remotely accessing your NAS, the login screen will look exactly like the live demo.

Question #4:
There is no mac address level restrictions for users. For IP addresses, you can decide if you want to configure restrictions via our ADM Defender. ADM Defender can be found under "Settings".

Please let me know if you have any additional questions,

Allen
jesse123

Re: question about remote access

Post by jesse123 »

Thanks Allen

So far, either unit will do everything I need it to do. The ip or mac address control is a biggie for me. I can't prevent a login from being loaned out, but I can restrict the access from a single location. I'm still digging into the transcoding abilities. If on-the-fly transcoding is too much, I'm ok with it being a background operation.

I'm still going through the manual and will definitely come back if I have any more questions.

Again, thanks for the help.

Return to “Presales”