Questions about RAID-5, Prebuy

Interested in our products? Please post any inquiries here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

snimax
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Questions about RAID-5, Prebuy

Post by snimax »

I've been looking at buying a NAS for some time and i stumbled upon the asustor brand. Ive been mainly looking at the 304t verson.
I wont to have a RAID-5 setup on it and i was wondering two things:
If I have my RAID-5 setup and the NAS breaks, can i move all the disks to a pc, running windows, and recover my data or is the NAS using a non compatible file system on the disks?
Is the NAS using hardware or software RAID config? Will i be able to back the config up(if software) or mirror the NAS hardware config?

Thanks in advance
orion

Re: Questions about RAID-5, Prebuy

Post by orion »

snimax wrote:I've been looking at buying a NAS for some time and i stumbled upon the asustor brand. Ive been mainly looking at the 304t verson.
I wont to have a RAID-5 setup on it and i was wondering two things:
If I have my RAID-5 setup and the NAS breaks, can i move all the disks to a pc, running windows, and recover my data or is the NAS using a non compatible file system on the disks?
Is the NAS using hardware or software RAID config? Will i be able to back the config up(if software) or mirror the NAS hardware config?

Thanks in advance
I own a as-304t. I'm quite satisfied with it. :D
If your nas is broken, you can simply get another asustor nas and put your disks back to the new one. Power it on. Done. Your data is back.
If you want to recover your data from a PC. You'll need a Linux system. If you are familiar with the manipulation on md software raid driver, I guess you can restore your data back. However, I did not try it. I just did ssh into nas and studied their file structure. So I think it's feasible. ;)

And yes, you can backup your nas system setting. ADM web page -> Backup & Retore -> System Settings.
snimax

Re: Questions about RAID-5, Prebuy

Post by snimax »

Okey Thank you very much! :D

Return to “Presales”