Asustor 304T or 604T as a HTPC?

Interested in our products? Please post any inquiries here.
franerem
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Asustor 304T or 604T as a HTPC?

Post by franerem »

Hi,

I am currently facing following problem. I would like to upgrade my NAS from Synology ds210j to something new. At first I wanted to buy Synology DS412+ but then I have found Asustor products.

My main targets are:
1. Backup storage (raid 5 - 3 disks wd red 3tb)
2. Media storage for home multimedia (currently i am using demon avr-x2000 and Apple TV with xbmc)
3. I though about exchanging Apple TV for something like intel NUC but I have seen that Asustor has HDMI out.

So I would like to use NAS for connecting it to Denon in order to watch hd movies (all formats also with had audio decoded by Denon) on my Bravia.

I have 2 questions:
1) would be 304t enough for watching all type off movies or 604t would be better choice
2) are there still problem with digital audio pass through to amplifier? Or with video quality?

Kind regards
Remi
dexter

Re: Asustor 304T or 604T as a HTPC?

Post by dexter »

1) you need HDMI out or do you plan to use DLNA services and let your destination(tv) show the played movie/series? 304 do not have HDMI-out?
2) XBMC issues only exist with your receiver, if it cannot playback when it sent from HDMI input, it works with most here, but problems arise if its passthrough to TV direct by HDMI. i have disabled Vsync and got no audio sync issues, but sometimes i do see the picture being drawn due to the refresh vsync being disabled, but its ok! i use it and is 90% happy with it.
franerem

Post by franerem »

Ad 1)
I plan to use HDMI out so I could have 1080p output rather then 720p as I currently have with apple tv 2.

Ad 2)
My receiver currently plays everything what comes from Apple tv 2 through XBMC (on Apple Tv).

Did you try with some files with HD Audio?

Kind regards,
Remi
orion

Post by orion »

My as-304t can play movies very well. However I connect my NAS HDMI output directly to my TV (not through AVR then to TV). And of course, it's 1080p output resolution. :)
I heard that there are some forum users encountered audio pass-through issue (to AVR) for Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD formats. The other formats are working all right. And some forum users seems to get better playback performances with as-604t (CPU is better). FYI. :D
franerem

Post by franerem »

604 does not have hdmi 1.4a so in theory No Support for Blue ray full hd 3d video :(
DutchFIX

Post by DutchFIX »

franerem wrote:604 does not have hdmi 1.4a so in theory No Support for Blue ray full hd 3d video :(
True... if the 3D part is a must have for your movies.
phantasmnz

Post by phantasmnz »

please note that there is currently an audio driver bug affecting much (most?) of the Asustor range (deifinitely the 2/3 series and probably the 6 series) - there are issues in XBMC with audio sync and Asustor are blaming intel and have no current resolution date for this issue.

Sometimes it's not to bad, other times videos can be unwatchable. The sync settings on XBMC make no difference.
Asustor are saying nothing about this other than it's not their problem... wait an undetermined time for intel to release new drivers.

As a NAS/multipurpose server, the products are awesome - until they do something about the media capabilities, I would be very cautious about purchasing as a HTPC - of course YMMV - but there are pleny media devices on the market (even a lowly RaspberryPI doesn't have this issue) that currently do media better
orion

Post by orion »

phantasmnz wrote:please note that there is currently an audio driver bug affecting much (most?) of the Asustor range (deifinitely the 2/3 series and probably the 6 series) - there are issues in XBMC with audio sync and Asustor are blaming intel and have no current resolution date for this issue.

Sometimes it's not to bad, other times videos can be unwatchable. The sync settings on XBMC make no difference.
Asustor are saying nothing about this other than it's not their problem... wait an undetermined time for intel to release new drivers.

As a NAS/multipurpose server, the products are awesome - until they do something about the media capabilities, I would be very cautious about purchasing as a HTPC - of course YMMV - but there are pleny media devices on the market (even a lowly RaspberryPI doesn't have this issue) that currently do media better
I indeed see some users in this forum encounter this AV sync issue. I forgot to mention it in my previous post. However I don't encounter this problem with my as-304t. FYI. ;)
franerem

Post by franerem »

Orion,

some questions:
a) do you use amplifier?
b) did you set XBMC audio out to HDMI?
c) did you try with huge mkv with HD Audio (DTS HD or similar)?

Kind regards,
Remi
orion

Post by orion »

franerem wrote:Orion,

some questions:
a) do you use amplifier?
b) did you set XBMC audio out to HDMI?
c) did you try with huge mkv with HD Audio (DTS HD or similar)?

Kind regards,
Remi
a) No. I connect my nas HDMI directly to my TV.
b) Do you mean the XBMC audio setting? I set to "analog" in XBMC which is HDMI output to my TV. I did not use nas phone jack output.
c) Yes, I tried several contents with Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD. Actually those are playing correctly (I mean the sound is popping, in stereo), except there are certain delays initially. However, I believe my contents of those format are limited. According to some other users, my cases might be unusual.

FYI. ;)

Return to “Presales”