2 computers connected at the same time

Interested in our products? Please post any inquiries here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

sarahstaar
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

2 computers connected at the same time

Post by sarahstaar »

What do i do when i fill up a unit?? If i have 4 or 6 units on the same network can i control them from one control panel ?? Can i have them all active on one computer??

can i have 2 computers connected via iSCSI at the same time to the same unit??
orion

Re: 2 computers connected at the same time

Post by orion »

occasionally I see your post, if you mean that your computer mounts multiple iscsi LUNs from mutliple nas, it should be working correctly. If you bind those iscsi LUNs into one RAID-0 volume. You should be able to see a huge disk in your computer. However, if you are going to run out of disk space, it will depend on OS capability to expand the disk space when adding one more nas LUN.

"2 initiators to one iscsi target" is not good, but it should work. You need to take care of data inconsistency between 2 initiators. Certain cluster-capable OS can handle it (I believe).
Auberon2k

Post by Auberon2k »

Actually 2 initiators to a single LUN is not uncommon, it's like having a bank of servers connected to a single Fibre SAN. Shared storage is very common for things like vSphere and such. You do need to take care with data contention issues, but it should work. I only have one of my ESX hosts online at home currently I was intending to fire up an iSCSI LUN on a couple of drives in my 608T, then bring my second ESX host online, using the iSCSI LUN as a shared datastore for VM storage and HA fail overs. VMWare high availability is only available where a shared storage device is available. I've also setup my share full of ISOs as an NFS share and mounted it directly into VMware off the 608T. It's very cool.
glide

Post by glide »

I can see too much confusion here guys. Let's clear this up...

initiator - client (computer)
target - server (storage provider/asustor)
LUN - something that will look like disk/volume/etc once you connect it to a initiator

1. You can have multiple initiators (computers/clients) connected to the same target (server/asustor) via iSCSI, as long as you are not connecting the same LUN!!!
2. You can have 1 initiator connecting LUNs from multiple targets at the same time.
3. In very specific case, you can have 2 (or more) initiators connecting the same LUN. (Those computers need to be "cluster". They need to be aware of one another, and need to manage access to the LUN, so they can avoid data corruption. - I'm pretty sure this is not the case for any of the home users)

Connecting 2 LUNs from different targets and making a RAID out of it, is possible, but generally not a good idea (maybe beside RAID1). Most likely both those targets are already running RAID in their backend, so you are basically creating 2nd level RAID... no benefit (RAID1 - mirroring... maybe), high complexity, and possible performance issues.

You can connect a LUN to windows client and create a dynamic disk on top of it, which will give you the possiblity to connect another LUN (from the same, or different target) and expand a dynamic disk to get more space. Or use the LVM in linux analogically...
Again, not the best idea...too complex, easy to accidentaly loose one of the LUNs and ALL the data with it.

Hope this helps a little.
Marek
AS-204TE

Return to “Presales”