AS-20xTE vs AS-30xT series for XBMC performance

Interested in our products? Please post any inquiries here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Forcebringer
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

AS-20xTE vs AS-30xT series for XBMC performance

Post by Forcebringer »

Hi,
I do fully understand the difference on papers between the 2 and 3 series.
So the 1.2 vs 1.6GHz and the missing video encoder of the 20xTE series.

Now what does this mean for HDMI video output of videos from XBMC?
Is the 20xTE series fast enough to handle all kind of formats, going up to FullHD bluray (probably 3d) or will the framerate drop at a certain point to a recogniseable level?
I dont care if it is a performance difference you dont recognise like (80fps vs 200fps)
Also what additional CPU payload would be handleable? Like iTunes server, Time machine, Windows backup. I wont run an FTP or webserver.

It should be an home server to store all family pictures & movies as well as do backups of the Mac & PC.
Since it has HDMI I would also use XBMC for movies which is a nice addon which put you over S. and Q. I considered before.

So I wonder if I can use this features without saying afterwards, shoot I should have bought the 30xT series...

So its like 302T vs 204TE (and I would prefer the 4 HD to be futureproof on disc space)

Thx
BadAS302T

Re: AS-20xTE vs AS-30xT series for XBMC performance

Post by BadAS302T »

Xbmc is crap on the 302... audio is out of sync.. when you try and select subtitles, the pictures goes crazy.. i only stream now to my tv, and even that is crappy.. :roll:
Allen@AST

Re: AS-20xTE vs AS-30xT series for XBMC performance

Post by Allen@AST »

Hi Forcebringer,

With respect to video output via XBMC, the 2 series is definitely able to handle Full HD and also 3D (specifically, SBS 3D, which we have tested). Video playback performance on the 2 and 3 series devices is very similar. As for additional CPU payload, if you are simultaneously running many applications like video playback, iTunes Server, and multiple Time Machine/Windows backups, you will notice a slowdown in system performance. However, this is true for all of our NAS devices, including the 6 series.

The 2 series is fully capable of acting as a home server for your backups, family photos and movies. Personally, I think the 2 series devices are a great value.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

@BadAS302T,

Have you brought up these issues with our technical support staff? I am sure that they will be able to help you solve these issues.

Thanks,

Allen

Return to “Presales”