AS-602T HDMI Output resolution and remote controller

Interested in our products? Please post any inquiries here.
Skyweb80
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

AS-602T HDMI Output resolution and remote controller

Post by Skyweb80 »

Hi, it's few days that I'm researching NAS sytems and the AS-602T seems to be the right choice...however there are two question I would like to ask:

1) what is the HDMI output resolution? On the AS-302T product page clearly says 1080p but I can't find anything pn the AS-602T one...
2) Is a physical remote controller available for this unit?

One last thing, I would really like to see a comparison chart between the AS-302T and the AS-602T in terms of read/write performance...

Thanks in advance!
Skyweb80

Re: AS-602T HDMI Output resolution and remote controller

Post by Skyweb80 »

I don't want to sound impatient but I am waiting for those answers to make up my mind...at the moment I'm undecided if to buy the asustor (602 or 302) or the QNAP TS-269L...not receiving any answer does push me towards your competitor...and I really need the NAS by the end of the week...
clinton.hall

Post by clinton.hall »

6 series doesn't have a built in ir receiver, so currently I do not believe their is a remote available.

1080p should be no issue for 6 series, but I think you'll find it may get a little jerky on 3 series due to lower CPU frequency.

Saying all this, I am a user, and not an official representative, so I am only giving my opinion based on the tests I have done running XBMC on both 3 series and 6 series (for testing purposes). I have only really played 720p on both.
AS-604T
3 x ST4000DM0000 (Seagate 4TB) in Raid5
2 GB RAM expansion
AS-302T

Apps (user)
NZBGet - CouchPotato - SickBeard - Git - Python

Apps (maintainer):
NZBGet - BitTorrent Sync - Mylar - LazyLibrarian - Gamez
-Maintenance of Apps acquired from JohhnyFive since ADM2.0:
SABnzbd - CouchPotato - SickBeard - HeadPhones - Subsonic

About Me: http://fockwulf.wix.com/index
Skyweb80

Post by Skyweb80 »

Hi Clinton, thanks for your reply. How do you control xbmc on series 6, then? Do you use XBMC remote on your phone? Also one thing I still don't have it clear is if series 6 has a 1080p HDMI output or can only do 720p...
Overall how do you find the NAS, are you happy with it?

Thanks again.
wde

Post by wde »

I just downloaded the top three 1080p videos from this test site and had no problem playing all three on my Sony Bravia 1080p TV using the Boxee app on my AS-602T with 3GB memory upgrade.

You can use the AiRemote app to control Boxee or a wireless keyboard and mouse. I use a wireless keyboard/airmouse combo.

I just had to pick the aspect ratio and surround sound options on boxee setup and they all seem to play okay.

Hope this helps.
My NAS: Flashtor 6 FS6706T ADM: 4.3.0.RSB1 Router: Technicolor CGM4331COM (XB7)
yogi

Post by yogi »

Skyweb80 wrote:Also one thing I still don't have it clear is if series 6 has a 1080p HDMI output or can only do 720p...
6xx has full HD 1080p hdmi 1.4 output thus boxee can play all video codecs used like avc, vc1, mpeg2, h264, x264 etc.

i.e. when you extract the m2ts file from a bluray which may contain a 40000 kbps video stream boxee will play it.

however you will see several image artefacts and errors because 6xx is not a media player but a storage device.
compare 6xx hardware to media players like Dune or Fantec re graphic chips and you will understand what AS
can or cannot do whatever player app you run on it ...
Home Storage: 8x Seagate IronWolf NAS HDD 8TB ST8000VN0022 @ 608T
clinton.hall

Post by clinton.hall »

Also note that at this time 6 series has Boxee and not XBMC.

I did produce a beat XBMC app, but this is not supported in the latest FW and I have stopped working in this as Asustor are working on their own official XBMC app.

So what this means; at this time you use Boxee on the 6 series, but expect that XBMC will be available in the not too distant future.

As far as what I think of the NAS... I love it. The 6 series is my pick (a bit more grunt) however for a small home system the series 3 does everything quite well, is a little easier on the wallet, and the built in IR receiver makes it easier for those who want to use a remote control vs an App on their phone/pad.

Both series are great as a dedicated download system (not that I would actively encourage that)... Full support for SickBeard, CouchPotato, NZBGet etc...I am working on some extra apps for torrents (although currently the download center works well).

I also do have some other brand NAS, and in my opinion Asustor is on par with the best, and well ahead of others. Obviously Asustor has not been around as long as some other common brands, so the App Store is not as extensive as some others, but the apps that a available are well maintained and the store is growing :D
AS-604T
2 GB RAM expansion
AS-302T

Apps (user)

Apps (maintainer):

Skyweb80

Post by Skyweb80 »

Thanks a lot for all your replies. The hardware of the Asustor 6 is really appealing and the price (compared to the QNAP) is good too...
The apps available today covers nearly all my needs (A Google drive one would be really good) and I'm sure that the store will grow.
I always had a soft spot for the underdogs so I will probably order my Asustor NAS series 6 today!
clinton.hall

Post by clinton.hall »

Excellent. Let us know how it goes and if you run in to any problems, don't be afraid to ask for help.
AS-604T
2 GB RAM expansion
AS-302T

Apps (user)

Apps (maintainer):

Skyweb80