604T Compatibility

Interested in our products? Please post any inquiries here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

rogaraza
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

604T Compatibility

Post by rogaraza »

I am currently looking for a NAS device for SOHO use in a mixed pc/mac environment. Initially it will be used as central shared storage, a backup location for specific machines, and a server for iTunes music. From what I have read so far, it looks like your 604T product would perform well in this environment. Hopefully I have not misread your marketing information.

The question that I have is related to compatibility with peripherals we already have installed. I do not see our hardware on your compatibility list on the website.

1. ASUS RT-AC66U Router: Are these devices compatible and will we get maximum through-put with this router (utilizing 2 gigabit Ethernet connections)? Any drawbacks with these devices paired together?

2. Seagate Freeagent Goflex Desk 3.0 tb: The plan would be for portions of the NAS to be backed up to this device using a USB 3.0 connection. Again, any drawbacks with these devices being paired together?

As you would expect, for the money this device costs, I would prefer not to have any surprises. It was a very unwelcomed surprise that we could not use our external drive connected to the Asus router as the router does not support drives over 2.0 tb via USB.

Thank you in advance for any assistance and information that you can provide.
James.W@AST

Re: 604T Compatibility

Post by James.W@AST »

Hi there,

Thank you for your inquiry. Yes, your understanding is correct, ASUSTOR NAS supports Windows, Mac OS and Linux, so it's totally fine to use the NAS in a mixed pc/mac environment.

As to your questions, please see my reply below:
1. Basically RT-AC66U is compatible with AS-604T, however, since AC66U has a feature called AiCloud which will occupy some specific ports (e.g. 80 and 443) and it doesn't allow the other devices to use these ports via upnp port forwarding. But this is not going to be a big issue if you know how to manually forward the necessary ports for remote access on the router. As to throughput, even though this router equips with GbE network, and you can definitely utilize it with the NAS. But please be aware that this router doesn't support Link Aggregation (normally you will need a managed switch for this purpose and it's a bit pricey) even though 604T does support Link Aggregation, that means, you can still have 2 independent GbE network connections, but you will not be able to combine them together. This limitation mainly comes from the router.

2. AS-604T can support any external drive larger than 2TB since we have a licensed driver for this, so it shouldn't have any problem to work with this external drive/enclosure. Besides, AS-604T equips with 2 USB3.0 ports and by benefiting from the driver we have, the performance is very good compare with the other NASes in the same segment. Meanwhile, we also have several backup solutions for external devices, such as One Touch Backup or Scheduled backup, you can either choose to back up the data from the NAS to the external drive, or vise versa.

Hope this helps,

Feel free to ask if you have any other questions, ok?

JW
To Infinity and Beyond!

Friends of My AS-606T: (RAID 5 with WD Black 2TB * 4, WD Red 2TB * 2)
MacBook Air (10.8) & Self-assembled Windows PC (Windows 7)
iPhone 4S (iOS 6) & iPad 2 (iOS 6)
Boxee Box, Logitech Squeezebox Duet
SONY HT-CT150 Sound Bar (Connected directly to the NAS via HDMI)
CISCO Linksys E4200

Return to “Presales”